Gas mileage improvements | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gas mileage improvements

MNOttFam

Reaction score
Howdy y'all. I just bought my rig, figuring I should be able to get towards 20mpg, but am getting about 15. I know that use of oxygenated fuels causes problems, but I'm also looking for other improvements. I've been shopping around, finding some different gadgets here and there, some of which are cheap, others rather spendy, and I am curious about all of them as I really want to make some improvements, but don't want to waste money that could be better spent on fuel itself.

1. the "Tornado." This little doodad installs inside the air inlet tube behind the air filter, and claims to improve power and economy by putting a "spin" on the air passing through it, thus "helping" the air flow as it goes through the bends and turns it travels through to get to the combustion chamber.
ROUGHLY $65

2. "magnetic fuel savers." These things are one of the cheaper items. They claim that the fuel molecules "clump" together in the gas tank, causing them to be less available to oxygen in the combustion chamber, and that they solve this by providing a magnet that you strap on over the fuel line, which breaks the molecules back apart as they pass through, improving economy and power that way.
ROUGHLY $20

3. rear air deflectors. These don't claim to improve mileage any, just keep the back window clean and provide a little downforce (some of them--others are merely a wing to divert air down is all--which is more what I'm looking for) but in theory, would also aid to break up the vacuum caused behind the vehicle as it passes through the air, thus inmproving mileage that way.
ROUGHLY $100

4. Jacobs electronics ignition systems. These claim to help in all areas--torque, power, and economy, and they claim the economy boosts to be up around 2 mpg, more or less, depending on the application. These are expensive systems, incorporating a new ignition control box, coil, wires, and sometimes some other related items. I'm wondering if maybe a person isn't just better off getting some of these general components seperately and saving a boatload of cash.
ROUGHLY $475 complete

5. K&N air filters. K&N claims that their filters flow more air, while providing better filtration and virtually unlimited re-uses by using a cotton gauze instead of paper. Simple enough.
ROUGHLY $35

6. computer chips. I know that some of you have already voiced preferences over WHOSE chip to use, but haven't said anything about the economical aspects of them. How have they done for mileage, not just power?
ROUGHLY $175

7. gears or larger tires. Everyone knows that a gear change can have a dramatic effect on fuel ecenomy, but the trouble becomes that the gears themselves aren't all that expensive, but having them professionally installed can cause some seriously high shop bills, taking forever to really provide a cash advantage. Tire sizes can be changed, but only to a certain point, as then clearance problems start to set in. I'm keeping this to mpg imrovement more than off-road ability, so I'll leave lift kits out of this.
ROUGHLY $325 for gears (uninstalled, for a 4x4)
ROUGHLY $550 for larger tires

8. supercharger kits. I'm sure these exist for the Explorer/Navajo 4.0, but haven't seen them myself (maybe I haven't looked hard enough). I know that a blower can be a ton of fun, with gobs of new power suddenly available, but they also improve efficiency overall, ultimately improving mileage, as long as you can keep your go pedal away from the floorboards, though I am unsure of exactly WHAT the mileage improvement would actually be in real world highway use.
ROUGHLY $2000, uninstalled

9. alignment and basic tune-up. This one's a "duh," but, it can be a major help to have a professional alignment and tune up done. A thorough inspection of the drivetrain by a competent mechanic can yield gas robbers such as worn plugs, fouled or malfunctioning sensors, or any number of other basic maintenance items. Tire air pressure can also be a factor, as keeping them properly aired up can make a healthy difference. I used to have a little economy car that I liked to run about 38 psi in the tires of, but with the Firestone situation, such a change could be extroardinarily dangerous.
$$$, ???, depending on needed repairs, changes, etc.

These are but some of the things that are out there. PLEASE feel free to comment on any of these modifications, as I believe a couple of them are bogus. Please also add any modifications that you have experience with. I don't think I'm the only one out here who wants to do something about the fuel economy of my Navajo. These are wonderful vehicles, and deserve to be capable of providing us with more economical operation.

Thanks all!!
Alan Ott, '94 Mazda Navajo LX 4x4 AT 4.0 2dr (did they even MAKE a 4dr?)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well, I just added a K&N Filter and Bosch Platinum+4 Sparkplugs and new wires....hopefully I will seem some results right away. The plugs make for a much better start, at least compared to the ones I had (stock). I hope to see maybe a 1-2 MPG improvement from these two improvements alone. Also, as you mentioned, many areas oxygenate their fuel from november through february. Every november my mileage drops from about 310miles/tank to about 270miles/per tank. This is to be expected.

As far as the "tornado air spinner" and the magnets....I don't buy them for a second. spining air isn't going to help you...in fact, if there is something installed to "turn" the air..it will actually be slowing it down making your engine less efficient. As far as magnets go..I think that's a bunch of hooey.

Rear air deflectors may keep your rear window clean, but they also ad some drag to your vehicle...thus reducing mileage further. use your rear washer if you want a clean window.

Don't know about the Jacobs ignition system.

Chips: I plan to get one for the horsepower and better shifting. As far as mileage, from the threads I read here, it seems to vary. Some people get lower mpg, some get better mpg. What you have to keep in mind is that even if you do see an MPG improvement, you really need to look at the miles per dollar instead. With a chip you need to use a higher octane fuel...which is more costly. So you may get an additional 2mpg...but you are also paying an added $0.30 per gallon. You have to figure out if the increase in mpg is economical or not.

Lets just say you get a 2mpg improvemnt with the Chip: (these are just examples, not fact)
STOCK: $1.45 per gallon Regular @ 18 gallons per tank =$26.10
@ 300 miles per tank = 16.6 mpg = 11.5 miles per DOLLAR

CHIP: $1.76 per gallon Super @ 18 gallons per tank
= $31.68
@ 335 miles per tank = 18.6 mpg = 10.6 miles per DOLLAR

So, in this case, even though you are getting better mileage per gallon, you are getting fewer miles for every dollar spent. Simply put...the ratio of fuel price REGULAR/SUPER has to be less than the ratio of gas mileage STOCK/CHIP. So, in my case I would have to see about a 4 mpg increase for the CHIP to be more cash efficient.

I believe bigger tires will reduce your gas mileage but it depends how big....plus I am no expert.

Superchargers....,mmmmm...power.....but thats all I know.

MNOttFam

I'll start with a simple math equation.

If you drive 15,000 miles a year at 15 mpg, you'll use 1000 gallons of gas. If you you improve to 17 mpg , you use about 880 gallons. At $1.50 per gallon, you save $180/year.

Items 1 & 2 are rip-offs. I've never seen a legit automotive publication (and I read a 'few') do any tests that prove any of the claims.

#3 - rear air deflectors. They do help keep the rear window clean. But they do not give you additional down force. To get down force, the air has to forced over the back lip of the deflector or wing. These deflectors act like scoops to push the air under the deflector and down over the back window. So, if anything, they give you lift. But then, considering the weight of our vehicles and the speed that Explorers normally travel, deflectors, wings and scoops don't really have much effect.

#4 - Jacobs electronic ignition system. I've read a number of posts here with people claiming the get the advertised extra 2 mpg. Others claim to get it with the spark plug wires and different plugs (Bosch +4) alone. At the price of the complete system, it'll take you close to 3 years to brake even. The other thing you might want to consider is that most people claim improved performance.

#5 - K&N. Very popular around here with mileage improvement and horsepower improvements claims of up 5-10%. Even with none of the claimed improvements, you probably save money on filters in the long run.

#6 - Chips. Most claims are more power, not improved mileage. Although I saw a post here lately about dyno tests showing actual decrease in power. Don't remember wich brand of chip it was.

#7 - Gears and larger tires. I assume you mean lower gears.
As you say, gears are expensive, especially when considering installation. Larger tires on the other hand are really only $10-30/tire extra when you're replacing old, worn out tires. If you go too low in gears or to big in tires (probably not possible without a lift), you could actually lose mileage.

#8 - supercharger. You'll never recover the cost in mileage savings. Let's face it, if you put one on and have that extra power, you'll put your foot on the go pedal enough to get the benefit of the extra power and your mileage will go down.

#9 - That's the one. Keep it tuned, aligned and air pressure in tires between 30-34. Items to check are the MAF, fuel pressure regulator, O2 sensor and throttle position sensor. There might be a few other ones that slip my mind at the moment, but in my over 40 years experience with vehicles I have found that keeping a vehicle in good running order will give you the most bang for your buck. It'll also save you money by making your vehicle last a whole lot longer before needing major repairs.

It was long winded, but I hope it helps. It really just comes down to applying common sense.

Try synthetic motor oil, ATF and gear lube. After switching to AMSOIL, I saw a fuel mileage increase of about 17%.

1 & 2 are definitely rip-offs. Try new plugs and wires, keep you tires inflated properly and keep up with all the little maintenance things.

jacobs ignition

I was very interested in this when I first started doing modifications. The response I got was that the Ford ignition system on our trucks is already very good and that the improvements, if any, would be minimal. For $475 I want to see some real improvements. New K&N, modified air box, performance cat back, headers, high flow cats, chip... from reading just about all of the posts on these isssues, these seems to be the best "minor" modification that can be made. All of these mods combined are about $1000. These combined with regular tune-ups seem to be the way to go.

Eric

I beg to differ on the Tornadoe "ripoff."

If you know anything about truly performance racing applications you would know that there is a solid aluminum insert that is threaded used in the intake to spin the air on intake. (see your local aftermarket dealer for specifics). That add-on is several hundred bucks and only really worth it in racing applications where the entire engine is modified.

I installed my tornado (about $70) the sdame day I installed the K&N fitercharger and am very impressed with both. My brother only has the tornado and saw big power improvemenents upion installing it. I don't know about mileage but the power difference with my mods is greatly improved.

just my $0.02 -- don't knock it until you try it.

well...

1. the "Tornado." ROUGHLY $65

Forget it. Save your money and spend the extra $20 and buy a KKM intake kit. This will REALLY ALLOW the "spiral" effect because of the conical filter. The theory of the tornado is spot-on, but it worked better with carburetors.

2. "magnetic fuel savers." ROUGHLY $20
Uh..maybe maybe not..depends what you have in your fuel thats sensitive to magnetism. If you have magnetic particles in there, maybe mileage isnt your biggest problem.
I'd think $20 would be better spend on an oil filter magnet to trap those particles.

3. rear air deflectors. ROUGHLY $100
Mileage improvements? I dont think so...they keep your rear window clean, but to do it they "grab" the air thats flying over the top of the roof...so its increased drag. Do some research on aerodynamics and you can find this strange windflow phenomenon actually "pushes" certain vehicle designs so its my opinion mileage would be better without one.

4. Jacobs electronics ignition systems. ROUGHLY $475 complete
If youre a performance nut, yeah. If youre not, no.
The stock ignition system (sans the stock wires)is actualy quite powerful so results would be minimal at best. Save your big bucks and invest in some top fo the line wires, then find a cheap place to get Motorcraft/Bosch plugs and change them regularly.

5. K&N air filters. ROUGHLY $35
Yep. Worth it all the way. Of course the KKM or complete intake kit would be better, but for the price and benefit, not mention the ease of installation, this is a mod for everyone and their grandmother. :)

6. computer chips. ROUGHLY $175
Hypertech, Superchips, Duff, JET....depends what you want the chip to do. Some change enough things so you better use premium fuel...awesome for power increases, not really ideal for saving gas..

7. gears or larger tires.
ROUGHLY $325 for gears (uninstalled, for a 4x4)
ROUGHLY $550 for larger tires
Probably will kill you mileage no matter what. Youd probably only need gears if you got bigger tires, and you cant really fit very big ones without a lift.

8. supercharger kits.
ROUGHLY $2000, uninstalled
For power..you got it. Mileage? Forget it. You'll eat so much gas you'll think its a V8. Great improvement for speed nuts or big tire rides who want more oompth. Bad for stock/semi-stock who wants MPG.

9. alignment and basic tune-up.
$$$, ???, depending on needed repairs, changes, etc.
Should be under $100 and you can do it yourself for close to $20-30. This will control mileage more than anything else. Change everything more often than you should, and keep an eye out for problems under the hood. Keep all maintainance items within specs and you should always be within the average MPG or better.

10. One other thing..EXHAUST. A good quality tuned system made for your particular vehicle can net significant power and MPG increases. If you have the restrictive stock exhaust, a good aftermarket one, especially combined with the K&N filter or K&N/KKM intake kit will offer great gains for the $$$.

11. Learn how to drive. The smother, cleaner, better driving you do, both on and off the trail, will affect how much gas your monster eats. Unnecessary quick acceleration, hot dogging, and yahoo driving all eat more gas than smooth clean moves. Plus you usually dont impress anyone...

[Edited by Anime4x4 on 01-05-2001 at 10:18 AM]

....but,...I like yahoo driving...........

Dont be fooled

Your milage is about right. You may see 20+ on the freeway and 16 around town. The best things you can do to improve MPG is to keep air in the tires, K&N filter, clean oil and plugs. Be careful, you don't want to spend a $1000 to improve your milage that will take 30 years to recoop the expense. If milage is that important, get a Geo. HA!

All I know is that MY rear air deflector doesnt keep our rear window clean! It gets dirty before anything else does, it just deflects it all onto the window and then blows it down into those grooves in the bumper. But hey, that wing looks good ;)
We can get 99 miles per gallon if we really try...99 instant miles per gallon, lol.

flowmaster exhaust

How about the Flowmaster "bolt-on cat-back exhaust?" Summit Racing has them for $158.95, and says they claim it's worth 15 hp and 23 ft/lbs on a 4.0 equipped Explorer. It has 2 1/4 inch tubing, and includes the 3-chamber muffler.

I was thinking that a better breathing exhaust was a good idea, but a lot of motors these days, with the computer controls and such, are designed to work with the back pressure. I'm wondering at WHAT rpm's these supposed gains take place? if they're at a high rpm, with actual losses at the real-world rpms, then this would be a pointless modification. Would installation of this particular kit be of benefit to mileage, would it hurt, or is there a better one out there?

WellsLaw,
You are right I haven't tried it, but that is because I don't believe it. I don't doubt this may work on high performance engines...but this is a Ford Explorer we are talking about...not a race car. There is a difference between the air flow in a race car designed to travel at 195mph and that of the air being "sucked into" an Explorer at 70mph. I believe that a high performance race car ( and I know little about them so I may be wrong ) would see some slight benefits to spinnning the high velocity air into the engine, but I can't see any such gains on a commercial vehicle. I am not trying to argue, just trying to figure out how this could help an Explorer...

Someone correct me if I am wrong please.

[Edited by Tim K on 01-06-2001 at 09:34 AM]

Half is Good!

You may see 1/2 of the advertised Gain with any product that you purchase. No organization makes them prove the gains in performance that they advertise. I "m no Guru in the Performance field, but I've read time-n-time again in Mag articles where many items provide NO gain on the Dyno (roller lifters, hedders, exhaust,ignitions, T/B, MAS, even cams). If you go by the Advertisers, you can Bolt-On 100 HP on your 4L--no problem.

I just got this in my e-mail. Whoever wants to try it, go for it. I won't.

Save Fuel and Money with The FUELSAVER!
Up to a 30% Savings In Gas Costs!
Increase Your Performance and Mileage Affordably!
Special Internet Introductory Offer!

*Drive up to 100 Miles Further on a Tank of Gas!
*Increases Your Car's Horsepower & Performance!
*Cuts Your Car's Harmful Emissions!
*The FUELSAVER Extends Engine Life!
*The FUELSAVER will extend time between engine tune ups too!
*Easy to Install-Takes Only a Few Minutes-No Mechanic Needed!
*Pays for Itself Through Fuel Savings Very Quickly!

What is The FUELSAVER?
A device that is a matched pair of tuned custom
sealed Neodymium Inductors that generate a frequency
resonance between its two faces. The FUELSAVER separates
the molecules, allowing better vaporization. The FUELSAVER
creates more complete combustion, therefore more power will
be generated for the same volume of fuel!

The FUELSAVER can be used on all types of
engines-Gasoline, Diesel and Propane!
American Made or Foreign Models!

Typical applications are:
Cars * Trucks * SUVs * Motorcycles * Buses * 18-Wheelers/Fleets
Ski Jets * Motor Homes * Vans * Tractors * Snowmobiles
Generators * School Buses * Taxis * Limousines * Boats and more!

The FUELSAVER will produce a smoother more efficient running engine.
On some demonstrations, mechanics were surprised to see that the
The FUELSAVER took the "roughness" out of the engine. This is due to
an increase in engine efficiency.

The following table shows the Dollar savings generated using
The FUELSAVER Savings are from 10% to 30%. So, we used an average
of 20% and 4 1/3 weeks in a month for this illustration of
savings with the FUELSAVER®.

Weekly Fuel Consumption:$20.00 $30.00 $40.00 $50.00 $60.00
Monthly Dollar Savings $17.32 $25.98 $34.64 $43.30 $51.96
Money saved in 1 year $208.00 $312.00 $416.00 $520.00 $324.00

With The FUELSAVER, every time you drive your car,
you will save $$$$$. Make the $mart Choice, buy
The FUELSAVER for your vehicle today and $tart $aving!

With financial and Environmental pressures now at their peak,
the time for The FUELSAVER has come! The FUELSAVER offers
an opportunity for people to save money and help the environment
every time they drive.

Still Have Questions?

Q: Will The FUELSAVER void my new car warranty?
A: NO!
Since The FUELSAVER is a retro-fit device, it will
not void a vehicle's warranty. This applies to all
after market or retro-fit devices such as remote
car starters or stereos, etc.

Q: Why can't the oil companies provide this boost?
A: The phenomena of fracturing the hydrocarbon chains
only can be induced by The FUELSAVER when the engine
is on and fuel is passed through the FUELSAVER®.

To Order Now-
Go to our website at: Dead Link Removed
or
Send Check or Money Order for $24.95 US
Plus $4.95 Shipping and Handling ($8.95 for Outside USA)
To: Cyber Marketing
Code 101 - The FUELSAVER
PMB 14002
Parkville MO 64152

(Expect up to 2-3 weeks actual delivery)

Please don't contact me about it, I know nothing about it and am not associated with this product in any way, shape or form. My first inclination is that it's just another way to try to separate people from their money.

[Edited by Peter Weber on 01-06-2001 at 06:46 PM]

I have a question. Since I don't use my roof rack much, can I just take the crossbars out?? I figure that may reduce drag and maybe a slight increase in fuel consumption???????

calculating gas mileage

It's easy--pick up one of those $1.99 calculators to keep in you glove box, and:

1. zero your trip every time you fuel up.
2. fuel up consistently--if you go to the same place to fuel up, and just fuel to the handle kick off, do it the same every time.
3. take the number of miles on the trip, and divide it by the number of gallons you just put in the tank.

that's all it takes. I like to keep a little $.49 notebook in my glove box, too, to keep track of the numbers, because gas mileage is an excellent diagnostic tool as well, as long as your driving habits are consistant. If you always drive in the same manner, in pretty much the same conditions (lots of in-city traffic, hills, etc--also weather changes can affect it, too) and you always have about the same mileage, then, suddenly, without any changes in your driving habits, conditions, or other things, your mileage suddenly drops, there'sprobably something wrong, and it't time to have it checked out.

Jonathan

You start with a full tank and mark down your mileage at that point (or reset your trip mileage counter to zero). Drive it until you're getting close to empty and fill up again. Check the mileage and divide the number of miles you drove by the gallons it took to fill up. For example: 300 miles driven, 15 gallons to fill up. 300/15=20. You got 20 mpg on this tank of gas. To get it as accurate as possible, average it over a number of tanks.

currently, i am averaging 12mpg over the pat two tankfulls of gas. would a K & N filter really help with eficiency? (can anyone really tell me if they are worth it?) also could a new set of spark plugs and wires help? what would a the new plugs and wires cost? any reccomendations/adivce? thanks for any help.

-ken

Originally posted by ksaldibar
currently, i am averaging 12mpg over the pat two tankfulls of gas. would a K & N filter really help with eficiency? (can anyone really tell me if they are worth it?) also could a new set of spark plugs and wires help? what would a the new plugs and wires cost? any reccomendations/adivce? thanks for any help.

-ken

Ken
I have the same truck you have. Bought it with 40K miles on it and only got 12MPG city. Spent $235 on new plugs,wires. Computer diagnostics were good, as well as fuel pressure test. The tune up helped performance, but only increased mileage to 13MPG. I have since removed three sides on my air box, which seems to also increased performance, but I don't yet know what the MPGs look like. I'll make a post as soon as I know. I also removed the roof rack cross bars. Let me know what you come up with, I'll do anything to squeek out some more MPGs. I plan to try K&N drop in when filter needs replaced, and possibly better exhaust when that is due.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

update- got it up to 13 mpg by just putting in a new air filter. my dad's gonna have it in for a tune up soon so i should be getting as bigger improvement. hopefully this will do the trick because this abby will be mine in a little less than a year!!!!!!!1

-ken

Back