Gas smell

cmhaah06

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
CLOVIS, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
So I have a gasy smell coming from my tail pipe and I was wondering if there were any opinions here as to what it maybe. I get the smell when I start the truck and let it warm. Then when I get where I'm going if I let it idle it comes back. I have recently put in new plugs and wires. I have a new fuel filter but haven't had the chance to change that yet. The truck runs well, it doesn't schudder or run rough. Any suggestions? Thanks.:salute::thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would pull the plugs to see what they look like (eg are they wet, etc.).

Also, do you have any codes?

Mike

First idea would be the fuel pressure regulator.. Put a fuel pressure tester on there and see if you rpressures are out of spec. Also, check the vacuum line on it.. sometimes the diaphram ruptures and allows fuel into the engine through the vacuum line.

~Mark

i just recently put new plugs and wires on it. Even the old plugs were good. Thanks for the ideas. As for codes I dont have any way of testing so I dont know if its throwing any codes. Could a faulty catalitic converter cause this problem? Or maybe a bad/old o2 sensor?

Do a search here for "paperclip" and you can check your own codes. Is the CEL light on?

Mike

Sounds like it is running rich. Have you noticed a decrease in fuel millage? When you changed your plugs did you set the gap correctly?

Back