• Register Today It's free!

Gas Tank Shield

sean1rice

Reaction score
City, State
LP City, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer sport
I'm replacing my fuel sending unit on the 94' explorer sport, 4wd.
Is it absolutley necessary that I reinstall the big metal shield covering the gas tank. I understand these shields are only on the 4wd models.
I never go off roading with the truck, So I'm thinking I can do without it.

Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

AFAIK, NO, you don't need to put it back on.. BUT.. its been 5 years since I've had it down.

Hopefully someone who has done it more recently can remember what it looks like better than I can to verify what I seem to remember.

~Mark

Ok, So you did the same thing 5 years ago? I figured I might have to install an additional strap or something of the like ...

I replaced my fuel pump 5+ years ago.. and IIRC I could have installed the tank without the skid plate..

~Mark

The thin dinky straps that hold the gas tank on without the skid plate are ok, but even without going off-road, it's nice having the extra assurance of both additional support for a full tank and a protective layer around it. It's one of the lowest hanging things on a stock vehicle. Being plastic, it's pretty vulnerable to being cracked, punctured, or worse. It doesn't have to be off-road, there are plenty of road hazards that will take out undercarriage parts just fine.

If you absolutely don't want it on there, you can sell it (and your transfer case skid plate too, if you have it). People who don't have the factory skid plates tend to want them on there.

Back