• Register Today It's free!

stock door foam or dynamat?

blitzk

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT
In my 04 the doors have that stock foam sheet thing....

Should I:
a.) leave it there, its OK

b.) put dynamat over it

c.) take it off and put dynamat on the doors.

d.) other?

???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

take it off and put something cheaper than dynamat in. i used raammat. sound deadener stops metal from vibrating and giving that ting sound, kills resonance.

imagine taking a tuning fork and tapping it on some metal, then covering it in a felt cloth and doing the same thing. same idea.

Raammat is supposed to have a good product, but also another VERY good quality (I've used them) product comes from Second Skin. Cheaper than dynamat and better according to many.
The owner Anthony is a great guy and will help you out personally...also gives discounts to certain forums
Secondskinaudio.com

oh and for your questions, the stock stuff won't really do much.
To really treat your doors, remove that and get some rubbing alcohol or similar and clean off the door skin (outer and inner) and apply your choice of deadener, liquid or mat. Here are a few pics of my Taurus's doors before I wrecked it.
Before, cleaned:
DSC01413.jpg

Layer of Second Skin Damplifier on outer door skin (behind the speakers)
DSC01416.jpg

Now on the inner door skin (notice i sealed up the big holes)
DSC01430.jpg

Then coated it all with Second Skin Spectrum (their liquid deadener)
0e071462.jpg

Hope the pics help

The cost was about ~$150 maybe more I can't actually remember, plus my time
Was it worth it? yes...even with stockers

I think the stock stuff is more like a moisture barrier, I'd keep it on top of whatever sound deadening you put on, I did anyhow with spray deadening on inner part, dynamat on outer. (unless you completely seal the door with deadener then it wouldn't really be needed.)

I think the stock stuff is more like a moisture barrier, I'd keep it on top of whatever sound deadening you put on, I did anyhow with spray deadening on inner part, dynamat on outer. (unless you completely seal the door with deadener then it wouldn't really be needed.)

I think you're right about the moisture barrier, i didn't really think of that. I don't think it makes much of a difference tho anyway

Back