• Register Today It's free!

Get 2020 Deal or wait?

noXcuses12

Reaction score
City, State
Coastal, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Limited
A dealer near me has about 13K off the sticker of a 20- Limited with 4wd and towing pkg. This is the cheapest I’ve seen that model anywhere. Coupled with 0% financing it appears to be a great deal. The Sticker has a 8/20/20 date on it. It this late production 20 safe from the transmission and other major issues I’ve seen in several threads?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just took the same kind of deal (not as good as what you are getting) and bought a 2020 ST

If you're lucky you'll get a great vehicle, but chances are equal that you'll get a lemon. You've seen from the posts on this site, there are so many issues that it's difficult to even summarize them. Personally, I would get rid of my 2020 Platinum in a heartbeat if I could without taking a financial bath. You've obviously have seen the complaints, and perhaps the posts of owners who really like the Explorer. So if you buy the Limited you'll be doing it with noXcuses🙂

I disagree that you're just as likely to get a lemon. I have a very early build (May'19) and many would say to avoid it. But I've had no problems in the 15 months I've had it. They have built so many of these vehicles, that the Ford Explorer had reclaimed the number one spot in the market. So the odds are that you'll be fine. Personally, I'd take the deal on the '20. There aren't significant changes in the '21.

Highly doubt it’ll be a lemon. The 2020MY has features like heated front windshield that has been removed from the 2021MY. The build date on that is the end of the production run for 2020 so chances are whatever issues the early 2021MY has it’ll be shared with this one IMO. Providing the issue isn’t related to a newly sourced part where in that case you would probably come out on top as the other non lemon 2020MY are running good. Not to mention it’s an “iihs top safety pick+”.

I am more concerned with how Ford is managing to reduce the price tag on the 2021MY while maintaining the margin. At the end of the day Ford is no different than any other corporation and the bottom line is all that matters. My guess is cheaper suppliers, looser tolerances, and heavy outsourcing in countries where labour is cheaper (which always results in lower quality).

Just my opinion.

If it were me I would take the amazing deal.

Get the 2020. They aren’t adding anything to the 2021 and if your biggest concern is depreciation it should be pretty much irrelevant. I just traded in my 2016 a week ago, and despite having over 70k miles on it, I was right-side up by a surprisingly large amount of money and got a trade in dollar value almost identical to a 2017. I had purchased my 2016 at the end of that production run and got a great deal on it just as I got a great deal on my 2020. Edit: Also, you can get 0% 60-month financing on the 2020 right now. I doubt they’ll offer that on the 2021, but I could be wrong.

The 2021 models have given up a few items to get price down, I have had my 2020 Platinum for 11 months, no real issues other than a seat memory module that was replaced. I love the power of the 3.0 twin turbo. Go for the 2020 you won't be unhappy.
TBill

I just took the same kind of deal (not as good as what you are getting) and bought a 2020 ST

Mind if I ask how much off MRSP you got? Curious to see what people are getting on 20 STs at this point. I really would like to wait for 2022 and sync 4 but if am amazing deal came my way, I'd consider.

Mind if I ask how much off MRSP you got? Curious to see what people are getting on 20 STs at this point. I really would like to wait for 2022 and sync 4 but if am amazing deal came my way, I'd consider.

I’m not sweating sync 4 personally. History is almost certain to repeat itself and I suspect we will be able to upgrade apims as time goes on I figure if I’m saving 8-10k on the vehicle, what’s spending a grand or so down the line to upgrade sync?

If you're lucky you'll get a great vehicle, but chances are equal that you'll get a lemon. You've seen from the posts on this site, there are so many issues that it's difficult to even summarize them. Personally, I would get rid of my 2020 Platinum in a heartbeat if I could without taking a financial bath. You've obviously have seen the complaints, and perhaps the posts of owners who really like the Explorer. So if you buy the Limited you'll be doing it with noXcuses🙂

So 50% are lemons? Seriously, we get it, you do not like your Explorer and want out. It is getting a little ridiculous with almost 100% of your posts being negative which many are exaggerated with opinions and not facts.

I have a 2020 XLT and tbh, Ive had 0 issues with mine. I have around 8k miles on it now and we bought it in October of 2019.

Car has been beautiful, drives and shifts well (no hard kicks or anything) and Im not nervous driving or going anywhere with it. Love it and would buy a second one with no hesitation, even with the complaints some have had. End of the day, all new cars are crap compared to how they used to be made.

A dealer near me has about 13K off the sticker of a 20- Limited with 4wd and towing pkg. This is the cheapest I’ve seen that model anywhere. Coupled with 0% financing it appears to be a great deal. The Sticker has a 8/20/20 date on it. It this late production 20 safe from the transmission and other major issues I’ve seen in several threads?
If its the car you want, I would take the deal. If you have any concerns about reliability the Ford Protect Plan would be good insurance. I you shop around, you can buy it from any Ford/Lincoln dealer online at a great price. I paid +/- $2100 for 8 years/150 miles on a 2018 Explorer Limited 4WD.

If you think there is any difference in quality between a 21 built in August and a 20 built in August, you are kidding yourself. (Yes, they built both in August).

The 21s have a little less content, so if you feel the 20 is a great deal - factoring in depreciation and all that, get it.

Take the '20 MY. I am on #3. Just bought it last week. Gave up the GT350. No regrets. My lower back is in love with the heated, massaging seats. :D

I’m not sweating sync 4 personally. History is almost certain to repeat itself and I suspect we will be able to upgrade apims as time goes on I figure if I’m saving 8-10k on the vehicle, what’s spending a grand or so down the line to upgrade sync?

I certainly hope you are right. Because I don't want to wait, but I certainly can if need be. My 17 is cruising along nicely at this point. Just really really want the power of the ST.

But I agree with most people and I am even in a similar situation, 2020 or wait. I would only take a 20 if it was an exceptional deal. But I wouldn't let the "issues" that I know are real, but also not the majority stand in my way of getting a 20.

It was 7.5K off MSRP and 0% for 72 months

I certainly hope you are right. Because I don't want to wait, but I certainly can if need be. My 17 is cruising along nicely at this point. Just really really want the power of the ST.

But I agree with most people and I am even in a similar situation, 2020 or wait. I would only take a 20 if it was an exceptional deal. But I wouldn't let the "issues" that I know are real, but also not the majority stand in my way of getting a 20.

You will NOT be disappointed with the ST Power

The 2021 models have given up a few items to get price down, I have had my 2020 Platinum for 11 months, no real issues other than a seat memory module that was replaced. I love the power of the 3.0 twin turbo. Go for the 2020 you won't be unhappy.
TBill

Was the module due to the fact that it reset about once a week? #AFAF
James

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Wondering how they're able to give you all the rebates, along with 0% financing. I thought it was one or the other, not both.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Wondering how they're able to give you all the rebates, along with 0% financing. I thought it was one or the other, not both.

Usually is one or the other but right now Ford has $2,500 + 0% for 60 or 72 months (depending on location) and another $1,000 trade in assistance (but this is easily muddied into the deal with a trade as a dealer can play with trade pricing knowing this rebate exists). I don't believe anyone is truly offering $13k off AND 0%. There is currently about $5,000 between msrp and the dealer's true cost before applying rebates. Another $8 on top of that is next to impossible

Back