jwrezz

Elite Snow Shoveler
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Parsippany, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
So I went out for a nice bit of wheelin yesterday w/ my new born son (Alexander Jakob, born Aug 21, 2008). Every thing seemed fine other than a misfire after some deep water crossing. But even that went away after things dried out. Got home from work today and just wanted to do a post trip inspection when I noticed the passenger side wheel. You'll see the pics below. Funny thing is it seemed to track fine driving home on the hi-way and everything. I thought it was a banged up alignment, but when I went under the vehicle I saw some oil soaked into the front diff case, and then looked at the passenger side axle tube and it almost seems like it's popped out about 1/2 an inch from the diff case! Does this happen often? I know it's an aluminum case so really no way to weld it if I did get it back in. If I do get it back in (if in fact it is out) what do you think it'll cost to have that work done? I'd love to do it myself, but it's getting darker out earlier now, and w/ a child here, my time is split between him and work so time isn't available as much as it used to be. But I'd make the time if the money is too much. So do I just go out and find an old dana 44 and slap it in there? Any one to solid axle swaps in the North Jersey area?

OK on to the pics!
P9290003.jpg
P9290004.jpg

Yes, I know the sway bar is disconnected on one side. That's how I ride in the woods. No sense in taking off both end links, right?

and the front diff...

P9290005.jpg
P9290006.jpg

So, whadda y'all think?

JR

I looked at a spare diffy, and the one in my truck-
both have a "ring" on the inboard end of the tube, which looks like it could go in further-
I think yours is ok, although you didn't get it in the picture-

I think the ring is there and in the pic. That's why the oil stain stopped there maybe. From the pic, it looks like oil is coming out of the top somewhere and running down, right? Maybe it came out of the vent while I was a bit off camber? Or maybe the deep water crossings filled it w/ water and the oil floated to the top and out the vent, or near the top of the diff any way. I'm gonna have to drain and fill to see what's up I guess. Maybe it'll be an easier wknd than I thought. Thanx JT.

Back