Good bug and tar remover | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Good bug and tar remover

Anyone know of a good bug and tar remover. they have been doing alot of road work where I live and I didnt notice the tar that got picked up and left on the side of my truck. it is almost baked on to the paint. Is there anyway I can get this off?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Though not the safest procedure, I have in the past used a rag soaked with gas to remove tar.

Yup, gas will get tar off, but its best once you get the tar off to wash the area thoroughly, and I would personally hit it up with a little wax. Lifter 1 Bug and Tar Remover does a good job on the bugs that get sorta baked on. I used to use it an it worked great, but I ran out of a can so now I just use plenty of soap and water and scrub them off.

Tar remover

Go to a body shop supply store and find some 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover. This is safe on the finish, and takes off tar really well. Not meant to take off bugs though. It will also remove residual adhesive from stickers as well.

Isopropyl alcohol (70/30 mix) is the best thing I have found to remove tar.

peace

Mike

turtlewax bug and tar remover (available at pepboys) works excellent)

Back