got a new motor. . . and free paint | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

got a new motor. . . and free paint

After 3 months in the shop, this guy finally calls and tells me to pick up my truck. got home, and while washing it i noticed these little grey splatters on the back-side window. "this couldnt be paint?!" i thought. Well it is. looks like some primer overspray or something and it is all over the tailgate, and pretty much everything from the rear doors back on both sides. ive read enough paint removal posts on here to drive me mad, and i tried mineral spirits, AT&W remover, and fingernail polish remover to no avail. Finally took a razor blade to the rear glass so i could see out, but im not taking a chance on screwing up the whole rear of the truck any more than it is. is there anything i can do to get off cured paint? i wanna sue the f#$k out of this jerk for a new paint job, but im not sure id have a case. hes been our family mech for a few years and we never had a problem.:smoke: :shoot:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i wouldnt sue him if you say he is a family mech...but however, is he gonna be driving around with unwanted paint on his car? No...so why should you suffer...take it to him and tell him thanks for the motor...but the paint has got to go!!!

Agreed.

Be friendly at first.. If that doesn't work, raise hell.

Go to a parts store and pick up a clay bar kit. Read the instructions on how to use it. It will take care of overspray in no time. You can use it on the glass too.

Try the clay bar, but if that isn't potent enough then I would try some good ol' fashioned rubbing (or polishing) compound! Buff the affected areas with some compound persistantly and forcefully- it worked for me!
Greg

Originally posted by DaHeinah
Try the clay bar, but if that isn't potent enough then I would try some good ol' fashioned rubbing (or polishing) compound! Buff the affected areas with some compound persistantly and forcefully- it worked for me!
Greg

thats may work, but you will have to have a rotary buffer to buff out the marks made by the compound. There is no way that you can get it to look good after compounding without one. I would try the clay bar and if it does not work (and if you dont know how to wet-sand) go to the mechanic and tell him what is gonna have to happen for you to be happy.

thats may work, but you will have to have a rotary buffer to buff out the marks made by the compound. There is no way that you can get it to look good after compounding without one.
That's true! I should have mentioned that first ;)

I worked on my finish a little bit yesterday with that megeaurs (how do you spell it?!?!?) deep crystal cleaner and polish system-worked great though I don't think it be potent enough on a situation such as yours.
Greg

yeah might get it off with clay, but why should he have to spend his afternoon one day doing that, i'd still take it back and at least have them clay bar it, hell i woudln't spending my time on something i didn't do

clay bar was a wasted $12. It's the "Mother's California Showtime" or whatever, but I shouldve bought a half tank of gas instead. Ya, my paint is a little smoother, but the overall appearence is less dramatic than a fresh wax job. the overspray is still there.

That's why I suggest the crystal polish and cleaner. I had some major overspray on my vehicle and after rubbing it in an intense manner MANY times, it finally came off and my paint is looking great again. Just remember, don't use too much cleaner and if you use less and continuously rub onto the paint surface, you will have an increase in friction = increase in overspray removal = you happy:D
Hope this helps!
Greg

Back