Grinding from transfer case

Twin Turbo Z

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited Edition
2000 Ford Explorer Limited Edition 4WD 152,000 miles

While driving there is a constant grinding noise coming from the transfer case that makes the same sound a completely worn out brake pad would make against a rotor. I am sure it is the transfer case because i lifted up the truck and let it run in drive while it was in the air and me under the truck listening for the noise.

I know replacing the whole thing would probably be it, but before I do maybe someone can give me some kind of input on the situation.

Thank you for your help

Well, I have an addition to the thread. I did a transfer case flush and took off the front drive shaft and the grinding stopped completely. The drive shaft looks like its in good condition so I'm not sure if its really the problem.

I have a similar problem with my '94 Explorer Limited though can't tell if it's the transfer case or the front differential. I have manual hubs and it doesn't make noise when in 2WD with hubs in or out. I removed the drive shaft and in 4WD no noise and changed the tranfer case fluid and didn't see any metal so I'm wondering if it's the differential. I drove all summer with hubs out and no noise, but now that we've got icy roads, the noise came back quickly in 4WD. I hope someone will chime in for suggestions. I priced a junk yard transfer case for $245 which seems reasonable and a fairly easy job but don't want to change it out unless I'm sure it's the culprit.

Thanks for any advice.

I will speculate you have a bad universal joint in the front drive shaft.

Back