Grinding noise when turning 2004 Explorer with Control Trac 4wd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Grinding noise when turning 2004 Explorer with Control Trac 4wd

CaptainBob

Reaction score
City, State
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2004 Explorer with Control Trac 4 wheel drive. In Auto 4x4, 4x4 High, and 4x4 Low I get a grinding noise that sounds like it's comming from the rear end when turning at slow speeds and when turning from a stop. Also happens when doing a backing turn. What's the fix for this?

CaptainBob

i have looked into it. just having some problems trying to find parts. and trying to find out how hard it is to do yourself. any ideas???? im not a mecanhic but i can still do basic stuff on a car if i got got instrutions. any ideas if its somethings i can do myself?

This the same problem that I have right now. I have looked into doing myself if I didn't have an extented warranty. FYI to those who would like to do it themselves it is a big job, the book and TSB says 5 hours for a trained FORD tech to do it. I have talked to a few techs and they said it is possible to do at home you just have to be able to have both rear wheels off the ground and to make sure you have some knowledge on how an IRS works as they are NOT the same as a solid axle. It is possible to wreck the seals in and outside of the axle if you do not know what your doing and in turn will cost you more money. But if you are hard at it to do it yourself then I would get yourself a Repair Manual first and go from there!

Good luck.

Back