• Register Today It's free!

Grinding noise

mercuryman97

Reaction score
City, State
greenville,sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
alright guys i got a question....i heard a grinding sound from the front of the car when i put on the brakes....so naturally i replaced the brake pads on both front brakes...and i still have the problem.....it just sounds like metal rubbing against metal....also when i turn to the right i hear like a clicking noise....and i can kinda feel a popping....i think maybe all these problems are from a bad wheel bearing...but i am not sure...so if ne of yall can help it would be appreciated....thanks

Is it 4WD, if so, check the CV boots on the front axles. The later years also have a CV joint on the front driveshaft. LOL,
DonW

Did you ever figure this out? I think I have the same problem, with what I think is the Drivers Side front. I know the brakes are good. And it only does it once in a while.

If it is the 4wd, the outter CV boots is making the noise. I just sprayed WD40 around the back of the hub where the axle hook onto the hub. The noise go away!

That make me to blieve that their are friction onto the bearing and the CV shaft. You can seperate the axle shaft from the hub bearing and put thin layer of grease around the back of the bearing and where the shaft contact tot he bearing.

Be careful not to get any grease onto your rotor!

Back