• Register Today It's free!

gt/cobra wheels?

kfrey

Reaction score
City, State
quakertown, pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer xlt 4dr 4x4
will mustang gt/cobra 17" wheels fit my 00 explorer? i heard backspacing may be off, is this true? any help will be greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you will prob. need spacers on the fronts as the rims will be too close, if not touching the upper ball joint.

thankyou. any ideas on what size spacers?

you will have to figure that one once you get your tires on the rims.

Depends on the years of the wheels...

I have run both 16" and 17" Mustang GT wheels on my 99 Explorer Sport and I had no issues as long as I used wheels that were made before 2005 MY... Ford flattened the Mustang wheel that year and that decreased the backspacing moving it closer to the suspension on the Explorer. I have test fit a set of 2008 Bullits on my truck and I didn't think they were too close to anything but I decided not to run them since they were 18"s and to keep the rolling diameter the same as stock I didn't want to run the tires i found...And I have not ever run spacres on this truck; I just don't care for them... Just my personal experience...

For the 16"s I run a 235/70-16; for the 17"s I ran a 235/65R17...These sizes kept the speedo readings close to exact and I didn't have to reprogram the PCM just to deal with tire size difference...

But, of course, YMMV!!!

was thinking of getting '96 cobra wheels for summer use, guess i'll just have to buy them and try em. THANKS

My '94 and '99 Cobras fit with not problems (17x8).
My '03-04 Cobras hit the upper ball joints and would need a spacer if I were to run them. (17x9)

thank you that helps

Back