Guages

Ryan1

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
White Bear Lake, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
want to put a tranny temp guage in my truck. I've been looking at different websights.

What is the difference between electrical and mechanical guages. And which one should I get or is the temp guage always a mechanical guage?

Thanks
Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You want electrical. This will place a sensor under the hood and wires will run inside to the gauge. You don't want a mechanical unit which would route hot tranny fluid inches from your face.

actually mechanical unit is not wired inside the cab. It comes with long thick wire with sensor at the end (about 5-6 feet long). You splice into tranny cooler line with special fitting and hook-up the sensor there. You just have to make sure not to bend wire too much.

I do have two mechanical units installed in my truck... one for engine oil temp and the other for tranny oil temp... they work great.

quote from that site regarding mechanical gauges:
>>>They do this through tubing or lines, which eliminates the need for electric signals<<<

doesn't mean that you have to rn tubbing inside the cab. Gauge comes with long tubing with sensor at the end...

check Dead Link Removed

Back