Half Doors - Latest Project . . . Teaser | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Half Doors - Latest Project . . . Teaser

those doors are sweet!! were in abouts tacoma are you??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the comments guys - - really happy with how they turned out, and the winter weather here is mild enough so that I never felt the need to put the original doors back on last fall (finally got a garage big enough to hold all my toys. . .) :D

Guess the only drawback, which is the same for the guys that have put in tube doors or chopped off tops is that you lose that "security" you get from really being able to lock your rig. A minor trade-off for me since my daily commuter vehicle is a two-wheeler (and its not a Segway)

jrfavre - I live in North Tacoma, over near University of Puget Sound...

fordxranger - I had the doors cut, welded, and "bondo-ed" but a guy down here that builds custom street rods... He'll do more of them, but its not cheap...

Paul
'91 Sport

That seriously looks awesome!

Paul.......I was thinking of doing something similar obviously wouldn't be any where near as beautiful as your doors but was thinking rather than going back up towards the back of the door just going straight back.....any thoughts? I really like not having doors so i may just build tube doors but no mirrors drives me crazy.

Hope you dont mind me borrowing your idea for doors.

Sterling silver 2cm x 1.5cm sounds about right.. ..

Bling, Bling!!! Bronco III yea baby.,. .

cf7293_1_zpsrm11azmn.jpg

Holy Thread Resurection ! ! !

Paul.......I was thinking ... thinking rather than going back up towards the back of the door just going straight back.....any thoughts? I really like not having doors so i may just build tube doors but no mirrors drives me crazy.
Hope you dont mind me borrowing your idea for doors.

Sorry for the slow response - - and probably need to address why this thread is in the "Off-Road 4x4 Planning" section. . . I used to post all my threads in the PNW section, when Rick shut down the regional sections for a while, all those threads merged into the Off-Road 4x4 Planning section - - when the regional threads were re-opened, looks like my stuff just stayed here. . . No big deal, but somewhat confusing (maybe just to me...)

First - - the 3/4 doors were NOT my idea, I stole them from Fire Zapper, and variations on these have been around for a while. . .

Second - - might have an issue cutting the doors straight back as you'd lose the exterior door handle, and you'll have to keep it high enough for the door latch at the B pillar. You'll already have to re-position the interior handle, so maybe you put in a top mounted door release (like Fire Zapper) that solves the exterior/interior issue. . .

Third - - Gen 1 four door rigs are pretty popular and cheap in auto yards, so I'd recommend keeping the originals as is and cutting up a second pair, that way you're not totally committed once you pull out the Sawz-All.

Fourth - - Mirrors were a "must" for me too, whatever you decide, I'd recommend keeping them.

Best of Luck.

Paul
'91 Sport

FR-425:
Sterling silver 2cm x 1.5cm sounds about right.... Bling, Bling!!! Bronco III yea baby. . .

From the Mr. T collection? ? ? Ha!

Back