Hands-Free tailgate issues | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hands-Free tailgate issues

I was able to find some info on the internet as to how the system works. I found the "module" under the bumper where the ends of the sensor wire plug in & where the wire that connects to the system plugs in. I just unplugged this one & the motion activated sensor stopped working. Every other switch still works to open & close the liftgate.
Good to know. Thanks for the info.:thumbsup:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know this thread's a bit dated, but does anyone have an idea of what/where I'm looking for the sensor(s)? Mine has started doing this, but I want to clear the sensor first as I think it just might be thrown off by salt/grime. It just started getting hypersensitive.

I know this thread's a bit dated, but does anyone have an idea of what/where I'm looking for the sensor(s)? Mine has started doing this, but I want to clear the sensor first as I think it just might be thrown off by salt/grime. It just started getting hypersensitive.
On vehicles equipped with the Class II or Class III Trailer Tow Package, a sensor is located on each side of the trailer hitch receiver.
http://accessories.ford.ca/control-unit.html
I haven't actually searched for mine. I haven't found it to be that useful so far. Works at times and not so much at other times. If you don't have those tow packages I'm guessing the sensor would likely still be in that area. Good luck.

Peter

I found the master module, it has two leads coming off of it, one going to a single long barrel that runs a good bit of the length of the bumper, can't tell where the other one goes. I'm guessing that's ONE of the sensors, but i'm not sure where the other is. I don't have a towing package.

Tempted to leave it unplugged for the interim, but I don't want salt/corrosion forming from the exposed connector.

I found the master module, it has two leads coming off of it, one going to a single long barrel that runs a good bit of the length of the bumper, can't tell where the other one goes. I'm guessing that's ONE of the sensors, but i'm not sure where the other is. I don't have a towing package.

Tempted to leave it unplugged for the interim, but I don't want salt/corrosion forming from the exposed connector.
Without the tow, perhaps you may only have a single sensor. Did you notice post 29 above? Perhaps it may apply to the '17 as well.

Peter

I did, I wish I could see the full document. Maybe it's on NHTSA...

I disconnected mine. Put vaseline in the connectors to keep water/ salt from getting in. Tied wires up with tie straps.

I was going to suggest if you wanted to disconnect. wrap it with saranwrap a few coats - and then tape that with whatever you like.

I was going to suggest if you wanted to disconnect. wrap it with saranwrap a few coats - and then tape that with whatever you like.

That's just going to collect water and damage the connector. About the only thing that you can do to keep moisture out is a heavy layer of grease. And even then water will find a way into it.

I worked in the communication field and found out that there is really very little that you can co to keep water or moisture out.

That's just going to collect water and damage the connector. About the only thing that you can do to keep moisture out is a heavy layer of grease. And even then water will find a way into it.

I worked in the communication field and found out that there is really very little that you can co to keep water or moisture out.
Not sure what the connector looks like but if one could get a similar one, just plug that over the connection and tape or seal the open end.

Peter

I work in aviation and there are lots of things you can do to keep it out - besides packing with petroleum grease you'll have to remove later to get the connection to work.

ALso the auto connectors used in this system are already weatherpack variety - so they seal when joined. Now if you wanted to be all sorts of proper there you'd look up the other side connector number - buy one - pack the back side with silicone sealant - then snap it onto the both sides that you're disconnecting. so as to protect both sides - don't forget that part.

also the reason I suggest the saranwrap under the tape - is to have a sacrificial layer for the tape adhesive. IE when you need to pull it back apart you can then snip away the tape from the wire side and just pull all the saran wrap (cling film whatever its called) and the rest of the tape and find a clean connector end for your re-connect.

Also it's stuff people would normally have around the house.

TSB 16-0102
HANDS-FREE LIFTGATE - WITHOUT TRAILER TOWING PACKAGE - LIFTGATE OPENS WHEN WALKING NEXT TO THE REAR BUMPER
Publication Date: August 2, 2016

FORD: 2016 Explorer
ISSUE:
Some 2016 Explorer vehicles equipped with the hands-free power liftgate and without trailer tow package may exhibit a liftgate that opens while walking next to the rear bumper. This may be due to the software sensitivity in the hands-free liftgate actuation module.

Still an issue on 2017's (1/2017 manufacture date), with the trailer tow package. This has been annoying the crap out of both my wife and I. And I second the comment (wherever it was) that salt/road grime may increase the frequency of the false-trigger of the sensor(s). I was loading my fatbike in the back yesterday while backed-into the garage, I false triggered the sensor 3 times in about 5 minutes. My wife has to walk behind my Explorer in the garage and she says she's been triggering it a lot more than she use to, and we've had sloppy roads a lot recently.

Just had an oil change today and mentioned it to the dealer. They didn't have any ideas except for disabling from the dash, which doesn't disable the sensor as mentioned here, just the button switches. I should have done a search before hand, now I need to go back. Hopefully they honor this TSB.

Worst case I guess I do the unplug thing. As other mentioned though, I don't like leaving it that way, it's a very harsh environment under there for all things electrical, especially in our climate.

On my 2017, we replaced the module but the issue persisted.

They had to replace the lower antenna, but mine doesn't have a tow package. That being said, they may have to remove the antennas in the bumper and replace to fix the problem. But since then I'm in great shape... good luck.

So, of course, this issue occurred again.

Rather than removing the bumper for the 18th time, I disabled the foot activation via BCM as-built data reprogramming.

Problem solved, in that "paid for something I can't use" kind of way.

I got tired of my tailgate coming down on me while loading groceries, and also sometimes coming out of a store only to see my tailgate wide open. so i finally did a couple searches and found this thread, Best option is to disconnect the wire. If you disable in the vehicle settings than you lose the dash button which i use a lot. took a couple pics of what you are looking for, its super easy no tools required its all out in the open. (mine doesn't have a tow hitch). you can see the bottom one has a black wire that goes to a long sensor thats goes along the bottom of the bumper.
ir5kZF.jpg

IG74jA.jpg

took a vid also

Good stuff, thanks for posting that info !! I have been having the same issue with mine. Drives me crazy how someone can simply walk by the liftgate and it opens, try doing it the way it was intended though and it works about half the time. Pain in the butt !! My only saving grace is the back end is very tight to my garage door so no one can walk by , otherwise I bet I would have had scratches all over it from swinging up when it shouldn't.

billyg900 and XLT16, are you guys saying that it will open when someone walks by and the vehicle is turned OFF? There is no way that should happen.

Peter

billyg900 and XLT16, are you guys saying that it will open when someone walks by and the vehicle is turned OFF? There is no way that should happen.

Peter

I'd say that it would depend on just where the fob is located at.

Yes. I was sitting in the vehicle one day waiting for my wife and a woman walked between the car parked behind us and our Explorer and the dam thing flipped up. It is getting worse, many times over the last 6 months walking away from the back of the vehicle I turn to find it going back up. At first I thought ok random issue, now it is becoming more frequent. I play hockey and when removing my bag, tell the lid to go down with the button , it does that fine then I have often had it start going back up as I walk around to the side of the vehicle. No way no how is there anything that is close to the motion that is supposed to activate this happening while I have a hockey bag over my shoulder. Most of the time this is in the dark at night, so no shadow fooling it either. Also had it open when I was washing it the other day, no way did my foot go under the bumper, I had a power wash wand in my hand standing back 2-3 ft from the lift gate. Guess that is why they issued the TSB on it, with mine I am just going to disconnect the sensor, done with it.

Like I said when I do try to open it using the kick motion under the bumper it works occasionally but you can't count on it, it has been that way from the get go with this vehicle, crappy setup, either they have a sensor or software issue but now it's becoming a security issue in parking lots. If you happen not to look back when your walking away from the vehicle it can be sitting there wide open with the lift gate up, I've come close to that twice already. Good thing my wife or I noticed it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just finished pulling the plug on this problem. Simple solution removing the sensor plug in at the bumper. I covered both ends well with electrical tape to seal them off, will check in month or so see how that his holding in.

Back