Has Anyone Used 100 Watt High Beam Bulbs? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has Anyone Used 100 Watt High Beam Bulbs?

TechGuru

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLS 4X4 4.0L FLEX
9005%20100W.PT95__ra_p.jpg

I was wondering if the stock wiring can handle them. High beam circuit looks to have a 20AMP fuse, which should be good for 240 watts...

(fake ebay ones "claiming" 100W do not count, they are usually no more than 75W.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

9005%20100W.PT95__ra_p.jpg

I was wondering if the stock wiring can handle them. High beam circuit looks to have a 20AMP fuse, which should be good for 240 watts...

(fake ebay ones "claiming" 100W do not count, they are usually no more than 75W.)
I have no clue, sounds great though. Do you know the lumen output?

Should be fine to run, use a relay that will get more power to the bulb, it's easy to wire a relay up too

Lens/reflector didn't change. Higher wattage will only make things "in focus" somewhat brighter. I will not change the focal length/focus of the lens/reflector combination.

Add a relay, I 2nd that. The factory wiring is notoriously just adequate for stock headlights, when new. Find a spot close to the high beam bulbs, and cut the wire there to bring that signal to a relay. Then the relay output can feed the original wire just fine.

Personally I went thru the HID fad (kinda like curly CFL's) when they were popular on all my cars.
Later, I just recently upgraded EVERY car I own to LEDs. These are 3500 lumen per bulb.
No rewiring to HD wires, nor extra wiring for relays, nor HIGH HEAT from 100W of amperage-sucking halogens.

IMOHO, get some expensive (not cheapo eBay) LED lights that are:
1. Shaped like a triangle (3-sided: 2 lows on top, 1 high on bottom)
2. 6000K temperature light rating color = "pure white"
3. fan powered (not just some heat sink tails)

Personally I went thru the HID fad (kinda like curly CFL's) when they were popular on all my cars.
Later, I just recently upgraded EVERY car I own to LEDs. These are 3500 lumen per bulb.
No rewiring to HD wires, nor extra wiring for relays, nor HIGH HEAT from 100W of amperage-sucking halogens.

IMOHO, get some expensive (not cheapo eBay) LED lights that are:
1. Shaped like a triangle (3-sided: 2 lows on top, 1 high on bottom)
2. 6000K temperature light rating color = "pure white"
3. fan powered (not just some heat sink tails)

I had HID's in my high beams, they were great and just what I wanted BUT the warm up time made it a no go for me.

I assume LED's can be just as bright but costs a bit too much for me right now. My 55w 4300K HID kit was only abour $30-$40

Also LED's are all 6000K and I really want 4300K or 5000K max. I don't like blue light.

Now something else to consider over the 100W Halogen is the HIR bulbs

The 9011 HIR is 2350 lumens so it is brighter than the 2150 lumens 100W 9005. It just costs a lot more.

Not to argue with you, but recheck the color codes... 6000K is "pure white" (8000K is blue).
feitcolortemperature.jpg

Kelvin_Scale_shutterstock_384971908-750x357.jpg

Also, these are the EXACT ones that my friend just installed for $41.
https://www.amazon.com/80W-All-One-...qid=1493390081&sr=1-9&keywords=9005+led+stark

Your call, but just wanted to recommend for others reading this post.

That's just the opinion of whoever made that chart for sales purposes.

4300 is the color of the sun, 5000 is true white 6000 is the sun with the blue sky in the mix.

It has been scientifically proven that 4300K provides the most useful light for human eyes, this is why OEM HID headlights come with 4300K bulbs.

4300K OEM coloring. Has a slightly off-white output very close to that of natural sunlight. All cars with OEM Factory HID headlights use 4300K bulbs. This is the Kelvin color if you are after maximum light output.
A great compromise. Has a pure white output, no tinge of yellow and no tinge of blue. This is a great “middle-ground” Kelvin color as it’s appealing and still very bright. Note the pure white light directly next to the bulb in the photo.
6000K The highest Kelvin color you should go. Has a crisp white out with a more blue hue in the color spectrum. While these bulbs are bright and still rank high on the Lumen-output scale, this is the highest Kelvin rating anyone should use without sacrificing output quality.
http://headlightretrofits.com/bulbs-info/hid-kelvin-color/

3000K = YELLOW
As seen on the graph, 3000 kelvin lighting is typically a YELLOW color. This color of lighting is most commonly found in fog lights in order to have a distinct color difference when compared to the headlights. It also helps increase visibility of a vehicle when viewed by other drivers.

3600K = AVG. STOCK HALOGEN/INCANDESCENT
As seen on the graph, 3600 kelvin lighting is the average color of stock halogen/incandescent bulbs. It's more white than 3000K but it still has an ORANGE/YELLOW tint. Many of our customers are trying to upgrade from this color of bulbs as they feel that it makes their vehicle look more dated than it is.

4300K = AVG. STOCK HID
As seen on the graph, 4300 kelvin lighting is the color of most stock HID systems. It's far more white than 3600K but it still has a very slight YELLOW tint. While more modern than 3600K, some customers still find that the 4300K isn't cool or blue enough.

5000K = PURE WHITE
As seen on the graph, 5000 kelvin lighting is the most WHITE color of all available. People who choose this color are usually trying to get a modern look without looking too aftermarket. This is the closest color temperature we offer that matches most factory HID systems.

6000K = WHITE WITH SLIGHT TINT OF BLUE
As seen on the graph, 6000 kelvin lighting falls between white and BLUE side of the graph. People who choose this color are usually trying to get an even more modern or futuristic style with the color. Even though the difference is slight when they are viewed side by side the color of 5K and 6K LED bulbs are obviously different.
http://www.vleds.com/led-color-temperature-differences

Can the Lenses take the added heat of a 100 watt bulb? or will they melt? That is the question.

Can the Lenses take the added heat of a 100 watt bulb? or will they melt? That is the question.

Well, 55 watt HID's didn't melt anything, I assume a arc would be hotter?

100w is only 35w more than the stock 65w...

Back