hatch panel removal 2000 xlt

Billbent33

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xlt
Hi all
I have had several x's and a Bronco and have removed a number of plastic door panels etc. Need to remove the plastic rear hatch panel from my "new" X and don't want to make any of the dumb mistakes I have in the past, particularly thinking all the panel edges are held in by push pins (plastic style) and busting a slip-on style retainer....
Any suggestions or a diagram of screws. push pins and slide-in retainers???
Thanks....

The pull handel screws in ( either phillips or 8mm ) the rest is " christmas tree " push clips

I just did this last week for the first time and had the same question. Here is the skinny. First, lift the inside loop handle and remove the two philips screws. Then, just below the window pry off the two oval plugs to reveal the latch mechanism and the place where the lock pull would be (older models). There is a small philips screw under the right-most plug. Remove it.

Once those three are out. There are six "snap" push pins that hold the top of the panel. Four across the top of the window and one on each side about the middle of the window. Snap those out. Then close the hatch about half way and open the window. The bottom is all held in place by those slip-on retainers. Lift then panel up and watch your head. It should fall right out.

Hi I need help on replacing the deck lid or liftgate on 2000 ford excplorer. I have a lid from a 2001 sport but need advice on how to adjust the hinges. dnorthmanjohn

Back