Having to manually shift or it takes 6k rpm to shift to next gear? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Having to manually shift or it takes 6k rpm to shift to next gear?

Johnny Glenn

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
02-04 Explorers
Thanks for looking in -- 03 Explorer, 4.0L, 2WD and all of a sudden it's gone haywire. It takes 6k rpm to shift through gears or I can manually shift through. There has been no sign of trans trouble - did begin to idle high on occasion and it shut-off a few times and wouldn't start back up -- come back to it awhile later and it would crank. Any ideas? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wish I could check? The (engineers?) that thought a sealed trans was a good idea were obviously high on fumes. I haven't noticed any leaks and it has been driving fine until recently but I'll try a fluid change. Any other ideas that could cause this high rpm shift? Computer?

I wish I could check? The (engineers?) that thought a sealed trans was a good idea were obviously high on fumes. I haven't noticed any leaks and it has been driving fine until recently but I'll try a fluid change. Any other ideas that could cause this high rpm shift? Computer?

so your telling me a 2003 expo has no transmission dip stick?

There is no dipstick on 02+ Explorers - it's a sealed trans and the only way to check is remove drain plug and see if fluid drips out! Ingenious?! What an idiotic design; although they have company with other like minded idiots @ other brand/models. I hope Ford has changed this design for their newer vehicles because I'd never buy a new one without it. The terrible reputation these models have with its trans could be (almost) solely attestable to the lack of maintenance they get due to the sealed unit. Most people that can't see it certainly don't ever think about changing it!! Ford's quality control has gone up as of late and (I'd bet) no more sealed transmissions?

I've also now noticed if I release gas it will then shift - If I keep pressure on it will run to 6k before shifting. Any ideas?

Posting results - hope this may help others as this forum has helped me in the past. Took X to trans shop and was told the TPS is not signaling trans. I had replaced TPS recently so it's either the TPS harness or PCM. Either way it's much better than trans work. The syptoms that I listed was very similiar to valve body and silenoid pack trans issues and I was preparing to do them but thanks to a "straight-up mechanic" that steered me back in the right direction. If you're in the Charleston, SC area - I'll be glad to refer you.

Um, don't want to sound like an @ss, but Ford is certainly not the only company that does the "no-dipstick-sealed-transmission" thing. A friend of mine has a Grand Prix with the same deal.

I have this issue with 1-2 shift, same issue with my gas... if I let off just a little bit it'll shift. 5.0L, AWD, 4r70w. Keep in mind, my issue is with WOT. In normal driving (a lil aggressive) it just shifts really hard.

I have this issue with 1-2 shift, same issue with my gas... if I let off just a little bit it'll shift. 5.0L, AWD, 4r70w. Keep in mind, my issue is with WOT. In normal driving (a lil aggressive) it just shifts really hard.

Pretty sure its supposed to draw out the shift to a lil over 5 grand at WOT. My '97 Sport 4.0 OHV w. 5R55E does the same. I figured the OP was talking about regular driving.

But why is the shift hard? Anyone?

It sounds if u have trans problems - when I determined TPS problems, it was not a hard shift but extremely late shift points. If I remember right the TPS costs about $70, so give it a try and return if it doesn't help you. Don't use aftermarket parts as I had replaced TPS before consulting trans shop and it turned out the aftermarket TPS wasn't working! When the trans guy mentioned TPS, I purchased OEM part and everything was back to normal.

Normal as in back to the normal REAR END noise, bearing noise, door ajar light on, abs light, air bag light blinking, TIMING CHAIN(s) noise, check engine light for EGR flow, odometer barely visible, cracked rear tailgate panel, front and rear air actuators clicking, ----- just kidding ----- I buy/sell about 7 of these a month and for the $ they are great vehicles and can be fixed cheaply on the DIY. Even if u have an engine or trans problem, call the salvage yards, there are many to choose from in the $700 range! I've paid as little as $250 for installation and now I've seen work done; DIM (Do It Myself) isn't out of the realm of possibility. Good Luck!!

TPS has been replaced with an OEM unit.

Back