Lets See Those Custom Air Intake Modz | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lets See Those Custom Air Intake Modz

spindlecone said:
Post some pics, what sort of filter costs 69 USD?

I lied. It was $66 USD. Green Filter, model 2459. Dual cone filter with 3.5" ID. They have single cone versions for cheaper (found them on eBay later). Quality of these filters is supposed to be higher than K&N and the ones that come with Volant. Whether they are remains to be seen. One thing I did notice was that they come in the box with what appears to be a lot less oil than K&N which can't be a bad thing.

I'll do the pic thing eventually. It's one thing to take the pics, but it takes me forever to process them. Too bad my wife didn't do them for me. She spends a lot of time processing pics of our 18 month old son, but I just can't convince her do my pics. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

kert0307...where'd you get it and how much?

ive been looking at amsoil airfilters. i really like the nanofiber echnology they use. In the summer im going to treat my mounty to an amsoil make over. Oils, bypass kit, and airfilter.

heres mine:

100_0871.jpg

100_0870.jpg

the tip will soon be an ARB but fourwheelparts said i had to come back to order it on monday!

If you want more info the build is here:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156984

any self made ram air type of air intake out there? looks great though.

I hope it is cool to bring back such a dead thread but I am wanting to see some more ideas on this. Thinking about building a custom CAI myself.

Here is mine
100_4201.jpg

100_3706.jpg

100_5020.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D

Here's mine... it's a Pipercross that I managed to get hold of for about $8. they usually retail at about $160.

This one had lost it's box and nobody knew what it was for, so I cut it down, screwed it on to the MAF sensor and siliconed around it

05032008.jpg

Si

I should have mine up in the next couple of weeks as soon as i get all of the parts i have ordered and back on my feet after foot surgery again lol.

Celly

Where does that Volant filter box open. Like stock behind the headlight, or on the side at the fender?

thats pretty cool blue got any sound clips yet?

OK, it's been a while since I first posted in this thread and I meant to get some photos up. Here is an old shot:

intake12.jpg

intake2.jpg

I now have the intake tube off a MAC intake for the 5.0 and red silicone couplers. Amsoil EA filter and Amsoil prefilter underneath (I had a "Green" filter when I originally posted). I really dig this setup.

intake3.jpg

Celly, where's the air intake for the Volant box. Not the MAF and tube to the engine. Thinking this is the best solution for my needs but not if it gets cold air from the fender.

Celly, where's the air intake for the Volant box. Not the MAF and tube to the engine. Thinking this is the best solution for my needs but not if it gets cold air from the fender.

The Volant box has a hole on the fender side and the headlight openings as well. Ideally, I'd like to cut a hole in the fender wall as others have done, but I haven't got around to it as I don't have the tools, and frankly the expertise to do a good job! :rolleyes:

p.s. here is the LINK for Volant applications. I had the 19640 on my SOHC and used what I could on the 5.0.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds good but might want to check that serpentine belt out sounds like a little squeaking going on

Back