Head unit replacement on JBL system | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Head unit replacement on JBL system

duz

Reaction score
City, State
Brooks, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
I was wondering if anyone else out there has attempted to install an aftermarket deck in an Explorer with a Premium JBL system. The truck is a 1996 Limited. The head unit turns on but there is no sound coming from the speakers (factory sub/door). The DVD processer for my head unit is attached via rca's to the factory amp (soldered). Does anybody know what color the remote wire is for the factory amp or if there is even one at all. I suspect that it is not turning on, but have no remote lead.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh man we just did this on my xploder with the jbl premium sound, or well I should say two of my stero shop friends and they said this is one of the worst they have ever dealt with, long story short you have to bypass the factory amp for this to work, I think they sell a special harness for it but my buddys just re wired instead of using the harness, I think I may still have the wire guide if you end up needing it ;)

Thank you. What you're telling me is true, from what I've been hearing. I do have to bypass the JBL amp. A small PITA. The only ***** that I have is that in bypassing the factory amp I will eliminate the cell phone. I would prefer to keep it. It is strange that there is not a way so far to take a signal from the rca jacks of my clarion dvd player and run it to the amp. I have figured that all the sound signal comes from the cd changer in the center armrest and goes to the factory amp. 8 signal wires from the factory deck control cd operation. The factory amp has a floating ground loop controlling its power, so there is no remote wire, only 4 power wires and a single ground wire. All processes (fade, balance, cell mute) are handled by the amp itself. I've installed a lot of stereos in my day, this is far and away the toughest.

Could you call up your friend and ask if he still has a list of wire colors with their function. This would greatly help.

floating ground loop controlling its power... hmm odd? I hate the way the factory system is setup!

duz said:
Could you call up your friend and ask if he still has a list of wire colors with their function. This would greatly help.

Yeah I actually have it at my house & I'm at work, I'll post it when I get there in about three hours ;)

Back