• Register Today It's free!

headers

99 explorer 5.0

Reaction score
City, State
goshen indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 ford explorer
does anybody make headers for the 5.0 explorers? if not can a set of mustang headers be used instead. I would also like to change intake manifolds does anybody have any idea as to which after market intake is the best swap. thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the board!

First off, Ford makes headers for the 5.0L X. I have 'em and they're great.

Secondly, you can do a search and find more info than you'll know what to do with.

When you decide to buy them, email torrie@fordpartsnetwork.com and let him know you're from this site. You can get them for about $180 to your door.

EDIT: Why do you want to change the intake manifold? The 5.0L X has a great stock one.

i was asking about the intake because i am thinking of going with the trick flow, and the trick flow heads and a cam change. I have heard that the stock one is good i just wasn't sure that i would be getting the most from my cam change. thanks for the info on the headers

Nice ... I see you were creative with your name. People are going to think you are me.

Your Stock intake is fine. It is the high flow GT-40 P model, the same size runners they used on cobra 5.0s.
If anything, you might want to change your MAF and throttle body with bigger heads.
(also, mustnag headers will probably not work cause they come out in your frame rails)

Good Luck!
Al

only thing about the headers, they will have to be modified. the only headers available are for the 96 GT-40, which is internal egr. you have the GT-40p's, which are external egr. you will have to have an egr tube welded onto them. other than that, its a standard swap.

Originally posted by 99explorer5.0
Nice ... I see you were creative with your name. People are going to think you are me.

i know the first tiem i read one of his posts, i thought it was you

The first time i read his post i was scratching my head trying to figure out why i asked that question.

lol

Originally posted by 99 explorer 5.0
does anybody make headers for the 5.0 explorers? if not can a set of mustang headers be used instead. I would also like to change intake manifolds does anybody have any idea as to which after market intake is the best swap. thanks for any help.

There's some kind of modification you have to make to the headers for 97-up 5.0's. The headers are actually made for 96 X's.
As soon as I find out the info I'll let you know.
The intake is actually very good. A lot of Mustang owners take their H.O. intakes off and use the Explorer ones. :eek:

Lou.

What you'll need to do is weld and EGR tube on one side. If you look at your stock manifolds you'll see what I am talking about. Many members have done it and I think its pretty easy/cheap to have a weld shop/muffler shop do it.

Originally posted by section525
What you'll need to do is weld and EGR tube on one side. If you look at your stock manifolds you'll see what I am talking about. Many members have done it and I think its pretty easy/cheap to have a weld shop/muffler shop do it.

Excellent. Thanks for stepping in.

Lou.

thanks for the info on the headers everyone

Back