mreaglewo1

Reaction score
City, State
nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 explorer sport
Hello,

Need help quick...

Headlights won't turn on. Parking lights will though. What can be done to fix this issue? If I hold the multi switch handle (turn signal handle) and hold it to turn high beams will come on only if I hold it.

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Change the switch?

i am working on that. I was hoping to find out info on the problem first. the part (headlight switch) is $48.

Also, regarding to changing it, does anyone have certain directions/instructions on doing so?

thanks

I can't give you directions on how to do this as this was a few years back on a different ford vehicle, but same multi-function switch, same problem. Carefully and patiently took the switch apart, cleaned up all the contacts by LIGHTLY sanding them till shiny again, then put it back together and it worked great! Something you may want to try if you want to save the $50 bux and don't mind doing somthing tedious.

the multi switch would be the standard headlight switch on the dash not the turn single correct?

the multi switch would be the standard headlight switch on the dash not the turn single correct?

No, the multi-function switch is your turn signal, wipers on/off, and high/low beams, in your steering column.
I doubt that its the headlight switch on the dash. What happens usually happens in the multi-function switch, is the contacts get crudded up or just wear out on the High/low beam toggle of the lever, and often times results in your situation: NO headlights, or high beams only, same issue I had that i was telling you about in my original post. Let us know how you make out.

No, the multi-function switch is your turn signal, wipers on/off, and high/low beams, in your steering column.
I doubt that its the headlight switch on the dash. What happens usually happens in the multi-function switch, is the contacts get crudded up or just wear out on the High/low beam toggle of the lever, and often times results in your situation: NO headlights, or high beams only, same issue I had that i was telling you about in my original post. Let us know how you make out.

+1 for this. Had the same problem in 11/2008; got another MFS from a pull-a-part lot for $16; been fine ever since.

Okay, so the m/s I will try. How do i remove it? Thanks

Really pretty easy; great instructions in Haynes book. Hardest thing to do was to unscrew tilt lever so you can get shroud off; I used padding with visegrips and a LOT of torque to break it loose. Then it just unscrews. The shroud itself has five or six screws you access from the bottom, then just take the two halves apart. There are a bunch of threads about cleaning/repairing the MFS and/or fixing loose connector wires - you probably want to search on multifunction switch repair before you start. Good luck.

Back