heater core replacement - 1997 2WD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

heater core replacement - 1997 2WD

choppc

Reaction score
City, State
Greer, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
I'm looking at doing a heater core replacement on a 1997 2WD Ford Explorer. I know that the heater core is leaking; the usual symptoms are present, including a sickly sweek anti-freeze smell when the heater is on and a film forming on the inside of the windshield, As I understand it, the late 1990's models require the dashboard assembly to be removed in order to gain access to the climate control unit.

Is this correct?

If it is, are there any caveats or other serious concerns [e.g. passenger side airbag] that I need to be concerned about when contemplating doing this replacement?

I have a fairly well stocked home garage w/respect to tools. I have a wide variety of sockets, wrenches, screw drivers, torx bits, etc..., but I wanted to know if there are any other "special" tools that I might need to do this job.

The various repair shops and Ford dealers that I called all said it would take 8 hours and would cost from $400 to $550. I don't have much $$$, but I do have time, tools and inclination to get the job done myself.

Yes, the entire dash needs to be pulled to replace the core.

While your at it, I strongly suggest you inspect your heater blend door and replace as needed now. Otherwise if it fails soon, you gotta repull the dash again. Needless to say, it's a major PITA.

Thanks for the tip about the other part. I'll be sure to closely examine all of the parts in the envivronmental controls while I'm in there. I agree, I don't want to have to tear the dashboard assembly out a 2nd time if I can avoid it.

I'll just have to take my time and act as if I'm carefully peeling an onion. Just remove it one layer at a time until I've got access to the heater core itself.

It took me a solid weekend to replace the heater core in my '95. I did go ahead and remove the front seats and console to make life easier, the steering column needs to come out as well, just pull the battery cables and leave the SRS modules alone for 20 minutes and they'll be fine to handle after that.

The haynes manual says to disconnect the a/c system, but if you are good, and don't mind getting a bit scratched up , you can get to one of the bolts that is behind the a/c suitcase without much dissasembly.

Take your time and fix anything that's under there that could break

Back