• Register Today It's free!

HELP! 1993 4.0 OHV Engine SWAP

steven32782

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT, 4x2 automatic
I was wondering if anyone out here knows, or had done this before, if I can swap a 1995/1996 4.0 L OHV motor out of a ranger into a 1993 Ford Explorer. They look similar, but the ranger has a plastic top, and no sensor in the oil pan . Please someone give me some guidance on this as i need to get my truck back up and running. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More than likely you can, however you have to make sure that the emmisions equipment is the same (EGR). As for the sensor it is just a low oil level sensor, you don't really need it.

The 95/96 motor is OBD-II that is why it has the plastic intake. You will need to change out the intake, oil pan (if you want to use your low oil sensor) and possibly the exhaust manifolds. Also look at replacing all the sensors. I'm doing the same process (96 OHV OBD-II int my 94 OHV OBD-I truck)
Tbars gave me some great advice, check out that thread "OBD-II into OBD-I"

So I dont need that sensor theis in the oil pan of my old engine now ? Will not using it make any check engine lights come on /?

oil level sensor is not required, AND you need to use your 93 oil pan, pickup screen and pump

96 = IFS
93 = Beams

I have done this many times

strip 96 engine down to the lower intake/heads and bare block
swap the oil pan and parts

install the 96 block into your 93 truck, using all the parts from your old 93 engine

Thanks a lot guys for all your help. I really appreciate it.

...Verno, I think the great advice you got might have been from 410fortune...:scratch:

...Verno, I think the great advice you got might have been from 410fortune...:scratch:

OOPS, My Bad. Got so much good advice from both of you on things, and you're both always helping out others here I musta got confused. I'm sure you've been called worse though!

...lol...I get people on here confused all the time myself...I just wanted to make sure 410fortune got his atta boy...:D

Back