Help ABS problem and AC problem

jskingry

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
Hello,
I do not post here very often but I have a couple of problems with my explorer. It is a 1995 XLT V-6 model. I just had the front brakes re-done, they replace the rotor which had gotten to thin and the pads, not the ABS is kicking in when I am braking right before it stops. It is a strong surging in the pedal and my stopping effectivness is reduced. Midas, the people who did the brake job said I need to take it to the dealer to fix it as if they did not cause the problem. I feel they have installed the incorrect rotors or munged up the sensors one, who really knows but is this something I can check easily?

Second problem, this problem has been with me for about three months now. One day my AC started to not be as cold or blow as hard, then I noticed on MAX AC it blows out the dash vents when I am decelarating and it blows out the defrost vents all other times such as accelleration or cruising at speed. The normal AC setting still bows out the dash but does not seem as cold or blow as hard as it used to. This does not really sound like the blend door problem, I was thinking a vacuum leak but cannot find anything upon initial inspection. Any ideas???

Thanks,
Jeremy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ABS false activation just before a complete stop on dry pavement is caused by rusted ABS sensor mounting surface. The rust lifted up the sensor slightly reducing the induced voltage causing the computer to react.You need to take out both front ABS sensors and clean out the surface underneath. I had the same problem before. It was on one of the post here not long ago. Do a search.
Mechanics usually replace the sensor instead of putting the old one back in, but the old one still good if they clean up the area after they removed it.
The cleaning also work on my GM AWD van. Same problem.Same ABS design.ABS sensor on top of the front bearing hub assembly.

Thanks PAX

Thanks Pax,
What concerns me is the problem arose when the mechanics did a brake job, replacing the pads and rotors. I am concerned if they used the correct rotors for the sensors to pick up or if they just dirtied the sensors while working on the job. I will check out the sensors and try to clean them this afternoon.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Any idea how to remove the sensor on a 93? I took the bolt out and probably ruined it beatin it w/ a hammer w/ still no budge!!! Is there a special technique for removing these wheel sensors?

The rotor has nothing to do with the ABS sensor. The sensor is mounted on top of the wheel hub bearing assembly. You have to remove the caliper bracket, rotor and splash shield to access the sensor. You need to soak the sensor area with lots of penetrating oil, remove one hex bolt and very carefully to lift up the sensor, you don't want to damage the O ring on the sensor shaft. The sensor housing is made with plastic. I used a piece of cloth to plug the hole and a brass wire brush fitted on a drill to clean the area to a shine and then put high temp grease on the surface before putting the sensor back. Good luck.

You say lift up on sensor? YOu mean the whole thing slides out of that hole? pull toward the engine??

The sensor is a small L shaped part. The long round body plug into the hub. The top flat side is secured by a hex bolt. Once you removed the rotor splash shield you can see it clearly.
I have a 95. I don't know anything about a 93 model.
I just noticed there are two persons here asking the question with 2 different models. I am sorry, I was reponding to the original post, he has a 95.
I think your 93 is entirely different beast. You don't have a one piece bearing and hub assembly. This procedure don't apply to pre 95 models.

Yeah,, I removed the bolt and could not get it to slide out of the hub/spindle for the life of me... Must be rusted in.

Back