Help! Crazy Front End noise 02 2wd! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! Crazy Front End noise 02 2wd!

KR's02EBEXP

Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
Had front brake job done yesterday. Drove it about 10 miles home no problems. Drove it today about 7 miles (in the rain) and all of the sudden a loud strange harmonic kind of humming started coming from the front end at speeds of 30-50 mph, lasted about a minute then stopped. I could feel it in the steering wheel too. We had lunch, got back in the Explorer, drove about a mile and it started again. It's a very loud humming sort of noise. Never had anything like this happen before. The vehicle has been near flawless for all of it's 58k miles. Any hints? I'm stumped and my wife (it's her EB) is convinced that the shop that did the brake job has done something to it? Anybody have a clue on this one?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take it back to the shop and tell them what is happening.

Good Luck.

that's the plan, just wanted a little ammo in case they act clueless.

Hopefully its easy and something is wrong with the new brakes.
Did they replace the front rotors? Outside chance they may have done something to the front wheel bearings if they took the rotors off.

they just turned the rotors and replaced the pads. thanks for the help.

they just turned the rotors and replaced the pads. thanks for the help.

I would have them recheck the brakes, a rattle clip may not have gone on correctly. You might just have some rust that broke free and is now catching the pads.

I could only guess how easy it was to remove or was it like mine, got the BFH and pounded on it for a few, then got t the bigger BFH and pounded it some more then it broke free. . .normally you don't damage the bearings when you do this.

Wouldn't you know it. Took it back to the shop and it wouldn't duplicate the noise. Checked the brakes and nothing out of place. Weird...Thanks to all for the tips.

Wouldn't you know

Update---it hasn't made the noise since! Go Figure....Thanks to all for the input.

Back