Help - Fuel Filter Clip went flying | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help - Fuel Filter Clip went flying

Worktofish

Reaction score
City, State
Eastern Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
I am in the middle of replacing my fuel filter on my 2006 Explorer 4x4 4.0L. I removed the red clip, then when I squeezed the green clip, it went flying and I can't find it.

I'm dead in the water until I get a new one. Autozone was no help. Is this dealer only?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am in the middle of replacing my fuel filter on my 2006 Explorer 4x4 4.0L. I removed the red clip, then when I squeezed the green clip, it went flying and I can't find it.

I'm dead in the water until I get a new one. Autozone was no help. Is this dealer only?

Well you either bought the cheap filter or went to the wrong auto parts store. Go to Oreilly's and get a WIX, they come with new clips....

That makes a lot more sense. I'll swing by and pick up a WIX today. Thanks!

That makes a lot more sense. I'll swing by and pick up a WIX today. Thanks!

OK I was just told by my Oreilly guy that the filter didn't come with the clips!
Sorry about that, most of them do!

I am still dead in the water. ..

Wix - no clips
Fram - wrong clips
Motorcraft - NO CLIPS!

The Ford dealer was not much help. I have a set being shipped from detroit. 3 days! Plus, there was no pic of them so it is just a guess.

HOW CAN FORD NOT SELL THE PARTS FOR A SIMPLE FILTER CHANGE?

Unless someone has any ideas or the parts from ford work, I may have to hit the junkyards...

Here is a link to a video showing them (1:30 in)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FN5IKl2QKGI

my clips are tethered to the vehicle with a cable

The part from the ford dealer was wrong. I need a whole new line- $207 AND IT WON'T BE AVAILABLE UNTIL APRIL.

I am going to try junkyards but I was warned that it will be near impossible to find one.

After years of loyalty to ford, this may be my last after this experience. ..

Don't know if it's just me, but I can't see your pic. :scratch:

I am really not sure either. Some of the fuel filters have clips as you show, which I believe are too thin in width.

However, if I understand the design of these - the purpose is to be just the right width to apply the correct pressure laterally to keep the metal flange of the fuel filter pressed firmly up against the rubber grommet in the fuel line.

I see references to the "r-clip", but I am not sure if all "r-clips" are the same.

The other line has a clip that releases without a special tool. These clips are called R-clips. Each one has a little locking tab that you release, which allows you to squeeze the ends of the clip toward each other and slide the clip partially out of the connector housing, which releases the line from the filter nipple. Study the clip carefully before you attempt to remove it so you won't damage it.
On a 2007, the clip should look like this:
clip1.gif

From another post - here are best pictures I have seen yet:

clip1.jpg

clip2.jpg

the should open the package and confirm if the clips are included.. ive done many fuel filters and they all have had replacement clips since they are not designed to be used more than once since fuel is a safety concern if the clips fail

the should open the package and confirm if the clips are included.. ive done many fuel filters and they all have had replacement clips since they are not designed to be used more than once since fuel is a safety concern if the clips fail

I agree, the clips "should" be included. However, here is what I found:

Wix - no clips
Fram - wrong clips
Motorcraft - NO CLIPS!
AutoZone - wrong clips

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SUCCESS!!!

After many prayers (!) I used a mirror and did a last ditch effort to find that pesky missing clip. Here it is!

Now I just need to get it back on the vehicle without losing it again...

20150227_101456_resized.png

20150227_101911_resized.png

Back