• Register Today It's free!

HELP my daughter....

brnltjo

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
My 17 yr old daughter recently bought her first vehicle and is ever the proud one! She has a 1997 Ford Explorer/4.0l/SOHC. Heres the issue...the ac compressor is sticking, we want to bypass it completely(ac never worked and she doesnt want ac). Is there a different belt to use? I know we can get a "ac bypass pulley", but we would rather not remove the compressor. We tried to get a 1997 belt w/o ac, but the Explorers only had ac that year. I heard that on some schematics its hows routing for both ways...w/ac w/o ac, so it must be possible. Is the easiest way to trace the route with a piece of string and measure it? Is there ANY negative drawbacks to bypassing the ac this way rather than installing a bypass pulley?
Thanks Alot!
Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the 4.0 SOHC engine has been used in several models of vehicle and more particularly years of the explorer. Try broadening the parts store search and see if later year explorers had a no ac option so you can run that shorter belt. Also keep in mind that by bypassing the condenser in these trucks you also remove part of the dehumidification process and your defroster may not work quite as well... not a big issue really though as the hot air still flows to dry stuff it just is moister than normal :D

Another simple option if leaving the compressor and pulling the belt is to simply take a string and route it like the belt. Measure its length and go ask for a belt by length and style rather than vehicle specific. I have to do this with my stang as there is no belt for the configuration i run ( no smog, no ac, underdrive pullies)

I would just disconnect the wires going to the compressor. The compressor will just be a dummy at that point and not draw on the engine. If she ever changes her mind about having air (in July or upon re-sale perhaps), it's as simple as replacing the compressor.

I bought my compressor for $200 new and a drier tank for $35+refrigerant so its no out of range for most.

There is really no need to by pass the compressor for now because if the clutch is disconnected it will just be a pulley on a bearing.

compressor clutch connector

As robertoa1a stated on the SOHC there is a connector on the compressor electrical clutch that can be disconnected preventing engagement. It's difficult to see but is located on the driver side and can be reached with your hand by extending your arm downward next to the battery. Just squeeze the clip with your fingers and pull toward the wheel well.

however if the pulley bearing is bad you should just buy the by-pass pulley cap the lines and call it good!

If it were a hot rod and the object of the game was to do away with the A/C system completely then yes. Though I may be concerned about paying insurance and tickets as a Dad.

On a 17 year olds' daily driver I would just unplug the power to the pump. And if that bearing wears out then it is cheep and easy to replace. They sell just that.

All that other stuff just creates unnecessary drama.

This way you can always change your mind. Do you really want to buy an unusual $50 serpintine belt an reconfigure it all.

You can spend enough money and time in a fake A/C pully but for what purpose?

Where are we going with this? How long should it take? LOL!

Thanks to all. Greta responses and help. I guess I should have mentioned that I allready pulled the compressor switch, but the bearing went out and now instead of freewheeling the pulley hangs up and is wearing the belt(only gonna be a matter of time before it goes). I didn't realize I could just replace the bearing-pulley. Is that a simple swap out? I figured a belt replace-reconfigure would just be the easiest.
THANKS again to all!!!!

For about 200 bucks, you can fix it the right way the first time.
Makes no sense to butcher it up, the truck will lose value and the Heating, A/C and Defrost/Defog isn't going to work correctly.

Back