Help! My X's Steering Column is smoking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! My X's Steering Column is smoking

CNDExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport
I was at a long light the other day with my left turn signal on. It stopped blinking and froze in the on position and smoke started coming out of my steering column on top where the Hazzard Lights switch is. Whats goin on? Its happened twice in the last few months. Is my X going to burst into flames? Its a 99 Sport.

Your multifunction switch has fried. It's not that hard to replace. Plenty of people on here have replaced their switch. There are detailed instructions somewhere on the board.

This is a very common problem on our explorers. Part is about $60.

I would get it fixed before it shorts out something else in the column and you have a bigger problem.

What happens is build up forms on the contacts in the multifunction switch and when the switch starts to short out, it sort of heats up the residue and creates the smoke. No real threat of a fire.

CNDExplorer said:
I was at a long light the other day with my left turn signal on. It stopped blinking and froze in the on position and smoke started coming out of my steering column on top where the Hazzard Lights switch is. Whats goin on? Its happened twice in the last few months. Is my X going to burst into flames? Its a 99 Sport.
Holy crap, that same thing happened to me this morning on the way to work. I thought I was halucinating.

Back