'00 and smoke coming from steering column.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'00 and smoke coming from steering column..

indecloudzUA

Reaction score
City, State
Tuscaloosa/Hoover Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4x4
alright...well i have been gettin some smoke that comes from the emergency light switch on top of my steering wheel column...it always seems to occur when i use my left turn signal and it seems to get "stuck"...meaning it doesnt blink like it normally does...i usually flick my signal off and then back on again and smoke goes away...what do you guys think???have anything like this happen to ya'll???any suggestions on how to fix it...i think there may be a short in the wiring...anyways, thanks for all the advice in advance!!!

This is fairly common, it is basically the contact switch in your turn signal. They use contact grease that over time dries out and causes the contact to not make a proper connection. The easiest solution is to get a replacement turn signal assembly and swap the whole thing in.

On my X, I had this happen about a year and a half ago. It happened when I would hold the turn signal on, but not actually "click" it in. Once I started clicking it fully into place, after about a month the problem more or less went away. Haven't had any problems since. But, as I say, if you're really concerned, its a fairly cheap part and relatively easy to fix (do a search on "smoke" and "turn signal", there was a post done that talks about replacing it).

same thing happened to me. Replaced the multifunction switch and everythings fine. :thumbsup:

-Drew

Back