Help needed with leak

bschnur

Reaction score
City, State
Bridgeville, DE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Explorer XLT
Hi Everyone,

I have 2010 EB Explorer. The truck has 54K miles and just recently with heavy rains while sitting in the driveway, when I get in and start driving the roof console will start leaking, i mean gushing water out directly above the shifter. This water drains out from all sides until its gone. I have checked to make sure the sunroof is not leaking, in fact when in the truck during any rain storms no water enters as well as when I hit it with a hose. Has anyone had this issue?? Thanks for any help

bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are sure it is not coming from the sunroof, you have to apply sealant to all the bolts that hold your roof rail. It means you have to remove it literally. Mine had almost ruin my double din and nav.

i have also heard that the Sat radio antenna on the roof on the pass side can leak. First check is open your sunroof and poor some water in the drains on the sides, you should see little drain holes. if water drips out under the truck then the sunroof drains are ok. if not they are clogged.

Update problem fixed! Thanks for the suggestion about the Sat radio ant, that appears to be it. When you look at the ant the back of it where it meets the roof, there is a small 2mm square opening on it's base at the roof line, not sure if this was the cause and area of the water intrusion or not. I do know that this small opening has always been there, because when waxing the truck, it's noticeable. Anyway i filled that opening in with clear RTV and also a small bead of the same RTV around the entire base. Since then we have had rain and no water has found it's way inside.

Update problem fixed! Thanks for the suggestion about the Sat radio ant, that appears to be it. When you look at the ant the back of it where it meets the roof, there is a small 2mm square opening on it's base at the roof line, not sure if this was the cause and area of the water intrusion or not. I do know that this small opening has always been there, because when waxing the truck, it's noticeable. Anyway i filled that opening in with clear RTV and also a small bead of the same RTV around the entire base. Since then we have had rain and no water has found it's way inside.

Great to hear!

Back