Help on front end grinding-turning only | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help on front end grinding-turning only

Jlatoria

Reaction score
City, State
Carol Stream Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT V8
I have a '02 4.6 XLT 4x4 and when starting out turning left or right from a stop, it makes a grinding noise that you can also feel in the steering wheel until I come out of the turn. Any help on figuring this out would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Jlatoria

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the information. This problem was driving me crazy. I will try changing the fluid.

This sure sounds like what I am experiencing on my 03 Flex XLT. It sounds more like a grunt (like when disc brakes grunt) and I have observed if I power the wheels in a turn then pop in neutral, the noise goes away. I have just shy of 45,000 miles. Wouldn't have thought fluids, but just maybe i will try that. Mine has been doing this ever since a long drive (150 miles) on gravel and dirt roads in June.

Does in forward and reverse and it is at its worst from a stop.

TD

Mine was doing the same thing with my 2002 explorer with four wheel drive. Thanks to this forum I fixed it and saved paying the Ford dealer $1600 to replace the clutch packs in the rear end.
I drained the rear end fluid.
Re-filled it with Royal Purple 75W/140 gear oil. Manual calls for 2.6 to 2.9 pints.$19 a quart.
Added 4 oz. of Motorcraft XL-3 friction modifier. $6 at dealer.
This next step is important. Go to a parking lot and do at least 15 slow figure eights.
After I was done the noise was almost completely gone. After a couple of weeks I only hear it very faintly every once in a while. It seems to get better every day. It has been 3 weeks now.
I read that the noise is from the clutch pack in the rear end slipping. Other posts that I have read said that it is annoying but it doesn't hurt anything and is safe to drive.

Electricman

Back