help! power lock door switch "buggered" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

help! power lock door switch "buggered"

spotted dogs

Reaction score
City, State
merritt, bc, canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ltd 4.0 sohc
The power door lock switch on the driver's side is not working...it locks but does not "unlock". I don't think it is a relay/fuse problem. I assume the wires from the door all meet in the canister type assembly between the door and hinges...is it simply a matter of removing the door panel and switch pannel, locating the wire and testing for current at both ends..or is it more complicated than that ?
thanks,
peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same problem w/ my '98...they'll lock, but won't unlock. It started going gradually, then stopped working all together. I tried getting a new switch from the dealer but that wasn't it. Good thing they let me test it before buying it. I just learned to live w/ it. Maybe this spring I'll break out the manual and the multi-meter and figure out what it is

let you know

I think I will "fiddle". If get some more info I will let you know how it works out. I think it is the wire, the doors lock/unlock just fine from the passenger side and the trunk...My mechanic mentioned a while back (when he replaced the latch mechanism on that side) that sometimes the wires get brittle with age and break at the connections (too small a quage) so hopefully that is just it....I was hoping someone had fixed the problem themselves already and could save me a few steps...so anyone?
peter

Another weird power-lock story, my passenger's side door lock slowly stopped unlocking and locking with my remote, and my g-friend had my spare. At first I thought it was the battery inside, but why only the passenger side?? So one day I was whining about my first thing breaking in my Exploder, and she tried the one she had and it locked and unlocked everytime, so I was like, Hey you are good for something, after the slap, and a laugh, I took her's and it's been working for over a month now, no problems... X-plain that one??:D

I replaced the switch this past summer on my 92 and everything works just fine. I took it apart and cleaned it all to no avail.

solution!!!

The problem turned out NOT to be the switch, but the wiring....the connections found in the "barrel" between the door and front quarter panel (visible when the door is open) were to blame.

My mechanic new exactly what it was after I gave up in disgust...took him 20 minutes once he figured out which wires were the culprits. He said the system is mickey mouse and prone to failure. Anyway, hope this helps. Have fun with your multi meter!

I am restarting this thread as yesterday something happened i never would have dreamed....... Anyway it started when i had to change my Battery as it died and wouldn't start the car, i was waiting for it for a few months so i already had the replacement. So i changed the battery and was drivving around and went into a shop to buy something and when i came back to the car the transmitter would not unlock the doors but locked them just fine so i had to get a coathanger and pull up the door lock to unlock it, here is where i am confused the door's would all lock fine and the alarm would arm as normal but when i went to unlock it the alarm would disarm but the door lock would not jump up at all how could this be??? seems to work fine now no problems all of a sudden it's back to normal so i am really worried that it will happen again and i am thinking that it could have been a computer glitch or something cos it's fine now??? How can i check if there is a more serious problem lurking??? this is the first time this has happened in the 4 years i have had with my rig!
Thanks guy's.

funky door locks

sorry to hear about your luck...sounds like you may need to reprogram your key fobs/transmitter. There were some good posts about reprogramming (search the posts would be easy to do) but you could also check your manual.
best of luck

Not The Switch

I too replaced my switch ($25) and still no luck with my locks. They will lock/unlock using the remote, passenger door, or tailgate switches but the driver's switch still does not work. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get at the wires to check them without taking my truck apart?

switch

see my earlier post...the gremlin is probably in the connection barrel visible when you open the door...I had no luck myself and took it my mechanic. I basically had the exact situation. All the fobs worked, all the switches EXCEPT the drivers side lock/unlock so I doubt it is in your door. I suppose if you have time and the inclination to take it on yourself...go for it, but like I said, my mechanic figured it out in minutes and fixed it prettty quickly.
good luck!

FIX!

My 98 just did this, it tries to unlock but no luck. I pulled the door apart but you don't need to. Get some Tri-Flo or wd-40 and soak the latch of the door. then open and close and soak some more, should solve your problem.

This is just if it is trying to unlock but can't.

THank taxman i'll try that and the reprogramming.

Back