• Register Today It's free!

help!! power window wireing prob

lumpydump

Reaction score
City, State
northern california
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xlt
my driver window wont go up so i thought the motor blew i took the door panel off and removed the motor tested it on a 12v batt. and it worked fine both ways i put motor back in door tried the switch window goes down fine but hit the switch up nothing so i put a volt meter on the wire for up hit he switch got 12v so now im stuck only thing i found weird is that when i hit the switch for down only the brwn/blu wire has power but when hit the up switch both brwn/blu and white/black are getting power at the same time is this right? and yes all other windows are working fine. also i reveresed the wires at the motor wire harness and hit the down switch and window rolls up so what does that mean bad ground or a bad switch i dont know any thoughts

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my driver window wont go up so i thought the motor blew i took the door panel off and removed the motor tested it on a 12v batt. and it worked fine both ways i put motor back in door tried the switch window goes down fine but hit the switch up nothing so i put a volt meter on the wire for up hit he switch got 12v so now im stuck only thing i found weird is that when i hit the switch for down only the brwn/blu wire has power but when hit the up switch both brwn/blu and white/black are getting power at the same time is this right? and yes all other windows are working fine. also i reveresed the wires at the motor wire harness and hit the down switch and window rolls up so what does that mean bad ground or a bad switch i dont know any thoughts

Bump

also i reveresed the wires at the motor wire harness and hit the down switch and window rolls up so what does that mean bad ground or a bad switch i dont know any thoughts

The switch just reverses polarity so if the switch works in the "back" position for down and swapping the motor wires allows the "back" position to put the window up I'd say your switch was bad.

Here is a great link for testing the power windows, thanks to theofam for this great link:

Dead Link Removed

Hope this helps out. :salute:

Here is a great link for testing the power windows, thanks to theofam for this great link:

Dead Link Removed

Hope this helps out. :salute:

I saw this link on another thread but found that on my 2002 XLT the switch is different. Here is a pic of mine

Dead Link Removed

As you can see there are only 6 poles vs 8 on the one described in your link. My window went down but will not go up. Any help on testing for this particular switch would be much appreciated.

I think I must have sent you Sport Trac info when you have a 4door model. Here is the switch diagram and the plug pin outs.
2002ExXLSWindowMasterSwitch.gif

C504a.gif
C504b.gif

I think I must have sent you Sport Trac info when you have a 4door model. Here is the switch diagram and the plug pin outs.

Thanks that explains a lot. I will give this a shot tomorrow.

Licklog

Thanks that explains a lot. I will give this a shot tomorrow.

Licklog

Followed the switch diagram and was able to raise the window which confirmed it was the switch. Ordered one from ebay and it should be here early next week and an easy install. Thanks again for all the info.

FYI,

I called the dealer just to get a feel for what it would cost to diagnose and repair:

$78 just for diagnosis
$132 for the switch
$??? for labor

My cost with your help:
$51.85 for the switch incl shipping.

Licklog

Back