Drivers side power window will not go up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drivers side power window will not go up

Nbarlow

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mercury Mountaineer
I have a 2003 Mountaineer and the drivers side window will not go up. I took the door part and used a test light to test the power connections. The white with black wire is up and I think it was pink with blue is down. The white with black wire isn't getting any power at the switch to at the motor and the pink with blue is getting power at both. All other windows in the car work from their door switch as well as the master switch. Can someone please help me figure out what to try next?

Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2003 Mountaineer and the drivers side window will not go up. I took the door part and used a test light to test the power connections. The white with black wire is up and I think it was pink with blue is down. The white with black wire isn't getting any power at the switch to at the motor and the pink with blue is getting power at both. All other windows in the car work from their door switch as well as the master switch. Can someone please help me figure out what to try next?

Thank you

Does the power motor turn at all? IE can you hear it trying?

My 03 ex had the cable break requiring the whole assembly being replaced.
Worst case scenario
Medium expense scenario

Rock auto was all out of front mercury parts, but they should be the same anyway as the ex.
Least expensive option could be faulty connector/connection or wire. or the lift cable slipped of the track.

Are you able to pull the window up by hand?

Thank you
Sorry for double post, but quoting so you get a notification.

When I push the down switch the motor sounds like it's making a little noise but since it's already down nothing happened. I have not tried to move it by hand I didn't know that was an option. Do I just pull up on the bottom of the glass?

Not sure what I did but it's working now. Thanks for the advice DaaQ.

Might be the wires in the door boot or the switch.

I bought a cheap switch and it did the same thing after about a month so make sure to replace with a OEM switch (used if you can because mine was like $180).

When I push the down switch the motor sounds like it's making a little noise but since it's already down nothing happened. I have not tried to move it by hand I didn't know that was an option. Do I just pull up on the bottom of the glass?
Yea mine wouldn't go all the way down, the cable broke, but was able to grab from the top and push it up.
Glad its working, I'd look into it sounds like you may have a bad cable guide roller somewhere in there.

i had same issue with you. my problem was the wire broken at the door hinge inside the rubber boot, the wire is brown with white stripe if i remember correct. to fix this, remove the rubber boot at door side and push it into the car frame as far as you can, then you will see the broken wire, solder the both end with a piece of wire (same diameter)and heat shrink tube on top of it, or electric type. hope this help and good luck. :)

Back