• Register Today It's free!

help! starts and dies

vang

Reaction score
City, State
saint paul, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie Bauer
Ok Guys you've helped me out before so don't let me down. Here are the symptoms.

When you turn the ignition
The engine starts and dies in 1 second.
The accelerator pedal is really soft. It doesn't get more pressure once it starts, does it?

I checked the fuse, Inertia button, and throttle cable and they are fine.

Is it the fuel filter, fuel pump, or distributor/spark plug wires?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Accelerator pedal is the same with the engine running or not.

Does the engine actually crank or just turn over?

When was the last time those things were changed?

When you first turn the key on (without cranking the engine), do you hear a small whine towards the rear of the vehicle for about one second? (fuel pump turning on and pressurizing the system)

I had the same...

Hi,

I had the same thing happenig on my X...I would start up the engine and it would die after about 2 secs. But once I got it running for a little longer, the engine was fine for the rest of the day. It turned out to be the intake gasket. Appearently, the had cracks in them and the engine was sucking in too much air (?) when the engine was cold. I took it to the dealer and had it fixed. Engine works perfectly ever since...
Hope this helps...

Quakecom

The fuel pump is indeed dead. Had a Ford Tech look at the car and it's gonna cost 500 big ones to fix. Darn piece of junk fuel pump!!!!

Ya know you can buy a new fuel pump for about $80 from NAPA. I'd look at an alternative to Ford for the fix if you don't want to do it yourself. You should be able to get it done cheaper than $500

Back