• Register Today It's free!

help transmision issues

jprentice94

Reaction score
City, State
oroville ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sas explorer
Ok i have a 92 explorer sas v6 ohv with an a4ld transmission withelectronic transcase. My explorer tranmission has been slipping only when its cold and first started it revs till and doesnt really shift so on my way to to the school to put tires on it made a huge bang clunk i figured it was out of fluid as it leaks like a siv so got there put tires on added fluid put in drive and no go. I put it in every gear and nothing happened except reverse works. I decided to do a trans service first one since whenever never really maintained well. After tried again and no go the selector goes into gear and the wheels will spin off the ground but can be stopped by hand so no power yet it revs to 3000 and doesnt move it. I got told it was likely a 1st. band bad or needing a adjustment is this sound right

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

uummmm....no

you blew your trans up......its as easy as that...

start hunting for another transmission....

it honestly sounded like the seals were not sealing until the fluid got hot.
and by that time. "it leaks like a siv" (which is the worst thing for a tranny,
running it dry)....and you blew your tranny....

good luck with it....you should find one fairly easy..

:salute:

Finding them for reasonable is not as easy as most will think , And yes the previous poster is correct , your trans is gone , You could have it rebuilt , but will have a good amount of money into that alone , best bet is finding a used one , checking it over very well , look and smell of fluid , the inner bell housing for pump leakage and pan and servo areas for leaking as well . You can Add a 2nd Aux trans fluid cooler up front for more cooling area , I did and they Get warm to the touch after 45 Mins of hwy use and the fluid is staying good color and smell as well . Good luck with your choice !

Ok ya it never actually ran dry i can guarantee that and i at our pick pull they are only 100 bucks i was pretty sure it was blown to but not forsure thank you guys. Also what should i look for whrn gettin a used on fluid smell any shvings in pan etc.

Ok ya it never actually ran dry i can guarantee that and i at our pick pull they are only 100 bucks i was pretty sure it was blown to but not forsure thank you guys. Also what should i look for whrn gettin a used on fluid smell any shvings in pan etc.

If the fluid is other than the color red , and smell the fluid , if it has a burnt smell it may be bad or about to be on its way out , Of course check the bottom of the pan if possible for shavings , and or gunk or buildup , Also , Make sure you get the torque converter whenever buying a used trans , it will be wore to the pump bushing and a different TC could leak and or cause failure within a short period . Wish I could find them in good shape for $100 .

Ya ours is a ma and pa pick and pull and their pretty good people not super money hungry and they got 90 day warranty i think. I found 1 so far that said good trans so will see

Ya ours is a ma and pa pick and pull and their pretty good people not super money hungry and they got 90 day warranty i think. I found 1 so far that said good trans so will see

nice man sounds like a good option , Our local pick and pulls , Are Called Pull A Part , And they do not allow you to bring a jack into there yard to pull parts , which makes pulling a trans by yourself a Pain , I have seen others use Ratchet straps and blocks of wood to get one out , but not sure I want to put that much time/effort into pulling one from a ( junk yard ) .

We can take anything in there i took a grinder and stuff with a generator and we have a pull a part about 30 miles away thats like that

Got my new transmission some i lost the vote to just pull the tranny so my buddys just pulled the motor and trans which actually made it a lot easier. Iet was a whopping 90 bucks lol with fress fluid. So tomorrow its time to get mine out and this put in

Got my new transmission some i lost the vote to just pull the tranny so my buddys just pulled the motor and trans which actually made it a lot easier. Iet was a whopping 90 bucks lol with fress fluid. So tomorrow its time to get mine out and this put in

Nice , Wish I could find them for that price and be easy to pull them , Good luck with the swap , And I'll keep an eye out on your threads !

Thanks i hope all goes well ill also post up as many pics as possible
New transmission pic 1-2

Attachments

• CAM01070.jpg
    CAM01070.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 536
  • CAM01071.jpg
    CAM01071.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 542

1. Driveshaft off took a 12 point and 13 mm
2.Exhaust out of the way
3.remove transfer case 13 mm 5 bolts also remove 2 connections and linkage
4. Remove starter 17mm bottom and 14 mm top set off to side and cooler lines with 5/8 and vacuum lines
5. tork converter bolts able to get after removing starter 4 bolts 13mm
6.remove kickdown linkage used door panel tool to remove and remove the 2-3 wire connections.
7. Bell housing bolts 6 13mm and 2 11/16 on top had to use swivel socket and extensions with air ratchet to not strip them also leave 2 bottoms barely in
8. Take trans mount off 4-5 3/4 bolts support trans take bottom bolts out and pull trans away. P.s. support motor with jack or it will drop.
9. Reverse procedure and install.

Attachments

• CAM01072.jpg
    CAM01072.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 578
  • CAM01073.jpg
    CAM01073.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 556
  • CAM01074.jpg
    CAM01074.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 547

1. Driveshaft off took a 12 point and 13 mm
2.Exhaust out of the way
3.remove transfer case 13 mm 5 bolts also remove 2 connections and linkage
4. Remove starter 17mm bottom and 14 mm top set off to side and cooler lines with 5/8 and vacuum lines
5. tork converter bolts able to get after removing starter 4 bolts 13mm
6.remove kickdown linkage used door panel tool to remove and remove the 2-3 wire connections.
7. Bell housing bolts 6 13mm and 2 11/16 on top had to use swivel socket and extensions with air ratchet to not strip them also leave 2 bottoms barely in
8. Take trans mount off 4-5 3/4 bolts support trans take bottom bolts out and pull trans away. P.s. support motor with jack or it will drop.
9. Reverse procedure and install.

I just installed a replacement transmission in my 94 over the weekend. The bolt sizes I had were different from what you had:
  • Driveshaft was 12 point 12mm
  • Starter was 13mm top and bottom
  • Torque Converter was 14mm
  • Bell housing was 13mm (all 8 bolts)
  • Trans mount was either 18mm or 19mm don't remember which
Yours many have been different due to the different year, I just wanted to put my own experience so other people may have a better idea of what to expect.

Glad you did it willl make it easier to find ya i thought it was weird some of mine were different then the one i pulled my used trans out of a 94 so they must have changed them my d shaft may have been a 12 on transfer case side but on axle side i had 13 just got them mixed up

did you get the Torque converter with the used trans ? , your old TC may have some wear on the bushing area , I would use the new/used TC if you got it

yeah I got the one with trans. got it done and now I have a major problem I cant fig out it is leaking from torque converter we filled the torque converter then slid it in but are not sure if it could leak. also we checked and there was no fluid left in trans so this doesn't make sense how can we lose all the fluid not from the pan we think it could be a cooler line but it seems like from inside the bellhousing

yeah I got the one with trans. got it done and now I have a major problem I cant fig out it is leaking from torque converter we filled the torque converter then slid it in but are not sure if it could leak. also we checked and there was no fluid left in trans so this doesn't make sense how can we lose all the fluid not from the pan we think it could be a cooler line but it seems like from inside the bellhousing

How much did you put in the TC , Did you seat the TC into the trans , If its leaking from that area its the pump seal , and or the bushing for the pump seal is shot

The torque converter seemed like it seated properly but ya the pan was empty we filled it to about 3/4 up the fill thing cant think what its called p.s. it took a second to shift into gear

The TC should have clicked in at least 3 times , I do believe , once going clockwise , once going counter clockwise then again clockwise , its been a year since I have done it , so I could be off to a certain degree , but I also put fluid in the dipstick to go in the pan so it would not try and pump dry .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The TC should have clicked in at least 3 times , I do believe , once going clockwise , once going counter clockwise then again clockwise , its been a year since I have done it , so I could be off to a certain degree , but I also put fluid in the dipstick to go in the pan so it would not try and pump dry .

Im confused o clicked it slid in i didnt here any clicks it was hard to get in while on your back on ground without spilling all trans fluid so when it slid in we thought it was fine it was still able to spini had to spin it to get the bolts to line up

Back