Help with FPR leak please!

KEbert

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
So after 2 months or so the rebuild has wound down. I promise that the thread will be updated VERY soon with much description and several pics. Sorry for leaving everyone up in the air with my progress.

Anyway, today we completed everything and finally ran the engine. Upon doing so, a large fuel leak occured at the top of the FPR (fuel pressure regulator) where the fuel line connects. The only problem is that my FPR looks different than others in explorers that I've seen. Instead of having a screw in top, it appears to have a snap-in type. And it is incapable being removed by pulling on it. First instinct was that it needed a typical fuel line tool to remove it, except there is no room to use one. Has anyone that has this same style of FPG removed the line from it sucessfully?

Pics:

Attachments

• DSCN0021.JPG
    DSCN0021.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 150
  • DSCN0022.JPG
    DSCN0022.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCN0023.JPG
    DSCN0023.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 150

That is the return line and there should be very little fuel pressure on it. Looks like the plastic tool would fit in there. My understanding is that it is just like the other fuel connections. They stopped using that style early in 91.

There wasn't too much pressure leaking out, maybe a fw pounds or so. But the volume was very high. The gap between the top of the FPR and the bottom of the fitting is maybe .25". We have the plastic tools to take it out, but they are too long to fit in.

Back