Help with remote start!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with remote start!!!

Also it worked fine until a few months ago. My wife only uses it when it starts getting cold.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you by chance have anything plugged into the USB or power ports. That has been known to interfere with remote start at times.

Peter

Do you by chance have anything plugged into the USB or power ports. That has been known to interfere with remote start at times.

Peter
Nothing plugged in. The only thing ever plugged in was a trailer break controller. That has long been removed.

Correct. It's a Ford dealer installed unit. It's an actual Ford part installed by a Ford dealership, that Ford can't fix!!!🤬

This post is so confusing. How does someone press lock or start on THIS single-button remote?

969e4d48260bbc569d2998b31e1f62f0.jpg

That's only for the remote start. I have to press the lock button the key fob first. Then I press the start button on the second fob
If you're not going to describe your situation well or answer questions, no one here will be able to assist you. What does your actual key that goes in the ignition look like and how many buttons does it have?

If you're not going to describe your situation well or answer questions, no one here will be able to assist you. What does your actual key that goes in the ignition look like and how many buttons does it have?
Doing the best I can here. This is the key fob that came with the car.
1613357014510.png

Do you have 2 of them?
Yes, and both key fobs work properly. I have also tried both remote start fobs and get no response from either one. The red led on both start fobs blink when I press the start button. I have also checked both start fobs at Auto zone. Both are transmitting.

I'm a little confused. Doesn't this generation, ALL (? or just XLT trim and above) have the capability to remote start with the factory hardware, then the only difference being how the computer is programmed (enable value for remote start toggled on), then having the 5 button remote supplied instead of 4 button? I could've sworn I once read a topic on how to do this, using Forscan on windows with the extended (or whatever it's called) Forscan license to enable it.

I mean if it can be programmed in, would be cheaper even if a dealership did it, except for how much money they'd want to also supply and program in the new keyfobs so is that why the dealer put in this aftermarket unit instead of going with the function already in the vehicle, or am I missing something?

Anyway if you paid for this aftermarket unit, demand that they provide to you the make and model, then look online or get the hookup manual from the manufacturer. If you can't get make/model, time to dig under the dash to find and I.D. it and then go from there.

If they did a hack job that involves cutting wires, you can get rid of it easy enough by just surgically removing it and reconnecting the severed wires of same color. If it is designed for the existing harness/connectors then you just unplug it and plug the harness back together.

Yes, and both key fobs work p

I'm a little confused. Doesn't this generation, ALL (? or just XLT trim and above) have the capability to remote start with the factory hardware, then the only difference being how the computer is programmed (enable value for remote start toggled on), then having the 5 button remote supplied instead of 4 button? I could've sworn I once read a topic on how to do this, using Forscan on windows with the extended (or whatever it's called) Forscan license to enable it.

I mean if it can be programmed in, would be cheaper even if a dealership did it, except for how much money they'd want to also supply and program in the new keyfobs so is that why the dealer put in this aftermarket unit instead of going with the function already in the vehicle, or am I missing something?

Anyway if you paid for this aftermarket unit, demand that they provide to you the make and model, then look online or get the hookup manual from the manufacturer. If you can't get make/model, time to dig under the dash to find and I.D. it and then go from there.

If they did a hack job that involves cutting wires, you can get rid of it easy enough by just surgically removing it and reconnecting the severed wires of same color. If it is designed for the existing harness/connectors then you just unplug it and plug the harness back together.
Yeah, I can't really understand what was done, so solutions are evasive. It seems the ford dealer either sold him a key fob with 1 button to compensate instead of programming a proper 5 button fob, or they installed an aftermarket unit and this is the magic button for the aftermarket unit. Given that he says the sequence for remote start is lock-lock-start, I think he has an aftermarket unit, which sucks. Otherwise I would have advised to get a 5 button fob and reprogram, or just turn off and then on again with FOR SCAN. Doubtful this can be fixed, you've been had.

Why haven't you gone back to the dealer that sold you this?????

People...the OP has the Ford long range one way remote start system installed. This involves having the VSS installed and an antenna and the one way remote. The OP only has to use one button remote to start the vehicle.

@OP, a few things. You don't need to have the system removed for any reason. If it isn't working you may want to find the VSS module which is likely mounted somewhere under the driver side dash above the brake pedal area. Take a look and make sure no plugs have pulled out. There should be an antenna mounted on the windshield. Following the wire back down into the dash will lead you to the VSS. I may have missed it but have you checked the battery in the one button fob?

Because this is installed, the remote start is enabled on the vehicle. If you just want to by an oem IKT (thats the key with the fob built in) that has the remote start button on it, as long as you have two functioning IKTs you can program the new one to the vehicle after you get it cut and use that to remote start the vehicle.

People...the OP has the Ford long range one way remote start system installed. This involves having the VSS installed and an antenna and the one way remote. The OP only has to use one button remote to start the vehicle.
Thank you Jason. That may have been a nice thing to have mentioned upfront. I guess the picture of the remote may have given it away but as someone that hasn't seen one before it was a little confusing. 🤔

Peter

That may have been a nice thing to mention upfront. I guess the picture of the remote may have given it away but as someone that hasn't seen one before it was a little confusing. 🤔

Peter
OP could barely describe their situation. Thank you for the clarification jmr061.

@OP, a few things. You don't need to have the system removed for any reason. If it isn't working you may want to find the VSS module which is likely mounted somewhere under the driver side dash above the brake pedal area. Take a look and make sure no plugs have pulled out. There should be an antenna mounted on the windshield. Following the wire back down into the dash will lead you to the VSS. I may have missed it but have you checked the battery in the one button fob?

Because this is installed, the remote start is enabled on the vehicle. If you just want to by an oem IKT (thats the key with the fob built in) that has the remote start button on it, as long as you have two functioning IKTs you can program the new one to the vehicle after you get it cut and use that to remote start the vehicle.
Thanks that's kind of what I was looking for. I bought this car used otherwise I wouldn't even have a remote start ( I can't stand them). Also I wasn't aware that the antenna on the windshield was supposed to have a wire attached to it.

^ Past bad experiences with remote start? If I can get it for free, without a 3rd party grunt at Best Buy/etc hacking up wiring for an aftermarket kit, I'm all for it. My '14 Explorer is garage kept so not nearly as effected, but I try to keep it off salted winter roads to decrease rust, using older vehicles parked outside, with recent ice storms, remote start helps to thaw them out and do useful things like get the driver's door open.... just have to remember to leave the blower on high ahead of time.

The Ford Dealership says they can't repair the remote start on my wife's 2015 XLT. Anybody have an idea how I can just remove the thing. I want to install one from 12v systems but I don't think I can until I remove the current system.
Not sure if this relevant at all, but we just cancelled service for a Viper remote start we had installed on our 2001 Ranger. Our remote looked very similar to yours. The remote worked on a 2G service, but as of 2016 AT&T stopped supporting their 2G network, T-Mobile shuttered theirs in Dec 2020. It's expected that by 2021 the rest of the national network will be shuttered altogether. Our remote had stopped working in Dec 2020.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Their diagnosis was literally "We can't fix it. Take it to an after market place." Please pay at the cashier window."
The above member makes a good observation. When did your remote stop working? Could the above be the reason? :dunno:

Peter

Back