Help with shocks/struts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with shocks/struts

Stazz75

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer XLT 5.0
I am going to be doing the warrior shackles and TT and 3" BL before too long. Just waiting on parts to get in. I figured I would replace the front and rear struts since the stock ones are pretty much worn out anyway. Anybody know of some good struts I can use with the lift? I want something that not only functions great, but look great also. Was leaning towards some rancho shocks but not sure which ones to get. Anybody have some ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First off, your truck has shocks, not struts.
Secondly, check my signature, it says what shocks I have all around.

I'm happy with the set up, gave me a nice additional 2 inch lift in the rear, and they look great.

I don't need the extra 2" in the rear but thanks. I see your using the rancho shocks in the front. How are they working out?

I don't need the extra 2" in the rear but thanks. I see your using the rancho shocks in the front. How are they working out?

roflmao.gif

I recommend using a monotube type of shock. They are miles above the traditional dual-tube technology.
Bilstein, KYB, Gabriel... they all have monotubes for our vehicles.
I use KYB 'Gas-A-Just'.

Monotubes are great, but a bit pricey up here in Canada.

I'm liking the ranchos up front. I feel like they're a bit squishy though.. Like, the ride could be more firm, but they're a great improvement over the stock ones.

If you do warrior shackles in the back, the load adjust shocks wouldn't give you a lift. They'd just keep your ass up and keep some stress off the springs, therefore keeping them curved for longer..
Shackles flatten out leaf springs really fast.

Monotubes are great, but a bit pricey up here in Canada.

I'm liking the ranchos up front. I feel like they're a bit squishy though.. Like, the ride could be more firm, but they're a great improvement over the stock ones.

If you do warrior shackles in the back, the load adjust shocks wouldn't give you a lift. They'd just keep your ass up and keep some stress off the springs, therefore keeping them curved for longer..
Shackles flatten out leaf springs really fast.

About how much do those load adjust shocks cost?

I use the Bilstein monotubes, have had other shocks in the past (Rancho, Superlift, etc.) and they are vastly superior to almost anything else out there. They even make a replacement 5th shock for above the rear diff housing.

I can't believe that you can't get four KYB gas-a-just in Canada for that amount.

I use the Bilstein monotubes, have had other shocks in the past (Rancho, Superlift, etc.) and they are vastly superior to almost anything else out there. They even make a replacement 5th shock for above the rear diff housing.

I didn't even know there was a 5th shock there lol..

P1060860.png

I left my stock 5th shock. Honestly, everyone has their opinion on it. I for one don't think it needs to be replaced with the other 4.
And at Sonic.. Yeah man, there's a local Bilstein and KYB dealer here. He wanted about $500 for 4 shocks. That's not happening.
And they don't sell them in store here.
Forgot to mention.. I bought my Monroes and Ranchos on sale.. Car parts here are way too expensive. /end rant

Did you try to see if KYB outlet ships in Canada?

Also check the shocks store in Canada
They have only the rears monotubes. The fronts they have (Excel-G) is actually OE.

And... I don't think your XL has the fifth shock. Here, AFAIK, is only installed on V8.
PS: I never saw an XL in US. Only XLT.

I decided to go with the monroe sensa trac load adjust all the way around. Not gonna worry about that 5th shock. Don't seem all that important to me..

I decided to go with the monroe sensa trac load adjust all the way around. Not gonna worry about that 5th shock. Don't seem all that important to me..
FRONT load adjust shocks with coil springs to match the rear 58617? Model number?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back