High Output Alternator for my Explorer! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High Output Alternator for my Explorer!

Nocryinnow

Reaction score
City, State
New Albany,Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
Will someone please help me out by;telling me.Where I can get a reasonably priced high output alternator for my Explorer.Because,I'am going to install some car-audio equipment.And I'll be running about (3)Amplifiers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got mine from Mr. Alternator. Let's see... First off, the pulley is smaller, which in my case meant that the stock belt was not tight enough, so the alternator only put out about 8 volts (even when revving), and squealed terribly. I tried other belts and none of them fit right. I figured that there was a problem with the alternator itself, so I sent it back. Got a new one, and had the same problem. I finally ended up buying some spacers to put between the alternator and its bracket (which meant I also needed new washers and longer bolts), and that fixed it. Then the alternator died about four months later. Had it replaced under warranty and I haven't had a problem with it since (knock on wood).

Overall I would say it is a good alternator, and as long as you keep your old alternator in case the new one fails, you should never be stranded. Warranty turnaround time was very quick. I believe my replacement was sent overnight.

I don't think I am the only one who had a problem with it working correctly because of the small pulley though.

i have 3 amps rated at 1050, 770, and 200 rms respectively and i run them with the stock alternator, red top, upgraded wiring everywhere (o gauge), and a batcap 300. and i never have had a problem.

Back