High Quality Drop in Filter VS. Cold Air Intake | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High Quality Drop in Filter VS. Cold Air Intake

One other question I have to bring up. I see these filters that are just put on after the MAF with the rest of the intake being stock. What is the benefit of this? Also, I have found that at local auto parts stores I could buy the MAF adaptor plate and a cone filter to make this setup for myself for around 50 bucks. Whats the differant about buying one from a company and basically making one?

You don't get cool stickers if you make it yourself :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is my feeling on it haha. Are there actually any significant differences between buying one with a fancy name or just "making" your own?

Some come with this and that, the KKM is angled to fit right on the Gen 1's (part of the reason i bought mine). The K&N FIPK for certain vehicles has a metal sheild to help keep hot air out. And they come with supports to hold up the filter. Just the little things that make life easier.

Also i'm pretty sure the ones from autozone and such are just paper filters were the big name brands are Oiled.

If you live in a state that has strict emissions testing, the name brand ones come with an exemption sticker, other than that your just buying the name/sticker. Might be a slight difference in quality. I got my k&n off ebay, so it wasn't too bad. If I did it again, I'd pry go with KKM or MAC cause they are cheaper.

Are KKM or MAC emissions legal?

I believe KKM is but they don't give you the little sticker that says it is like the MAC.

What a lot of people don't realize is that these open element filters actually shed water and if you buy a high end filter like Amsoil, MAC and KKM they will actually shed the water away. The outer coating of the filter is oil, which traps dirt and big particles but also sheds away water. Like stated above, you should be alright as long as you do not submerge it. I know the MAC filter and KKM filter are not rated for extreme wet conditions like under your vehical. The Amsoil is on the other had. Now Amsoil only sells universal sized filters for different applications and I was only using it for an example.

The four intakes you'll want to look at are the MAC, KKM, K&N, & Volant. Now volant is about the best in my opinion of the SOHC intakes but it is the most expensive.

Good luck on the decision and you've come to the right place for advice about moderate off-roading, i think the guys here wrote the book on it...

I really do appreciate all the advice. I am working on getting in touch with my state emissions people to find out what the deal is before I make a final decision.

All i did was buy a cylinder filter, attached it to the maf with the stock box choped and sealed it with silicone. works great. It was about 50 bux AND i got the kick ass stickers.

I have K&N FIPK with a filter wrap/drycharger wrap... i think these really does help repel water without affecting performance but it doesnt make it waterproof.. had a couple of moderate storms and had no problem at all (except for my ebay headlights getting moisture but thats another topic..)

I am leaning towards a MAC seems like good quality for the price. Just waiting on a reply from the state about the emissions problems it may or may not present. I do not see why it should be any issue, will make the truck run better/better fuel mileage, but I want to cover all my bases before I spean any money. I will probably buy a filter wrap if we get heavy snow because I do alot of highway driving and I like to drive thru snow banks haha

I am leaning towards a MAC seems like good quality for the price. Just waiting on a reply from the state about the emissions problems it may or may not present. I do not see why it should be any issue, will make the truck run better/better fuel mileage, but I want to cover all my bases before I spean any money. I will probably buy a filter wrap if we get heavy snow because I do alot of highway driving and I like to drive thru snow banks haha

i think MAC intakes are emissions compliant.. i guess as long as they give you an OE# or Carb# for it you wont have any problems.. K&N FIPK's have these aluminum stamped labels that your supposed to stick anywhere near the intake so when inspections come and they see your aftermarket intake with the OE# they wont ask you anything about it.

i think MAC intakes are emissions compliant.. i guess as long as they give you an OE# or Carb# for it you wont have any problems.. K&N FIPK's have these aluminum stamped labels that your supposed to stick anywhere near the intake so when inspections come and they see your aftermarket intake with the OE# they wont ask you anything about it.

I have heard they are compliant, I am just making sure that I my bases so I dont have any headaches come inspection in Feb. I know my throttle body spacer came with a sticker and I have heard that the MAC does as well.

I got word back from the state. The guy that responded said that the intake is not considered as part of the emissions system so it should not be a problem. He also said I should speak with the person I get my inspection done by. So, once I put my money in order, I will be getting the MAC intake.

I got word back from the state. The guy that responded said that the intake is not considered as part of the emissions system so it should not be a problem. He also said I should speak with the person I get my inspection done by. So, once I put my money in order, I will be getting the MAC intake.

Good deal. I too don't understand what an intake has to do with emissions considering it doesn't emit anything. :confused:

But hey, thats why i stay away from 95 and up so i don't have emissions. :D

I have heard they are compliant, I am just making sure that I my bases so I dont have any headaches come inspection in Feb. I know my throttle body spacer came with a sticker and I have heard that the MAC does as well.

I did not get a sticker from MAC when I bought their intake system.

I got the AEM Brute Force. It fit perfectly and has the CARB sticker on it, and it uses a dry cleanable element, so you don't have to re-oil it after you clean it. That's been a problem with oiled elements when they get over-oiled and the oil eaks out onto the MAF sensor. Amsoil also sells dry cleanable elements to fit any of these intakes.

In PA, you don't need a CARB exemption sticker. The emissions laws only apply as far as making sure all the factory emissions items are in place (I.E. cat converters, smog pumps, EGR Valves.) and that, if you're in an area that has a sniffer test, you pass that test. You will have no problems passing the inspection.

I have to say that my MAC intake on my 1999 SOHC has caused issues in the past. I live in colorado, we had a heavy heavy rainstorm when I was in the mountains, and thus, caused my intake filter to get wet. IT was not serious but made my truck run poorly, then died at the top of this hill. (the continental divide). Careful if you get alot of rain, or offroad.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the input, I really do appreciate it.

I have to say that my MAC intake on my 1999 SOHC has caused issues in the past. I live in colorado, we had a heavy heavy rainstorm when I was in the mountains, and thus, caused my intake filter to get wet. IT was not serious but made my truck run poorly, then died at the top of this hill. (the continental divide). Careful if you get alot of rain, or offroad.

Thanks for the input, I really do appreciate some differing views. I do tend to see a good bit of rain and I think that when I get my intake I am going to definitly get a wrap for the filter (probably purchase an amsoil filter as well). I might modify the stock air box as well to try and provide a little more protection for the filter. Were there any ill effects that you experienced after the filter got wet and your truck died at the top of the hill? Is it running again? No problems?

Back