Hood Steam | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

luckyfox

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
13 Explorer Lim. v6 AWD
Curious question, and I'm sorry I won't be able to provide a picture as I simply couldn't get the steam to show up adequately on a photo.

To make a long story short, any time I drive somewhere in the rain (in my '13 explorer limited AWD v6) and I remain in the vehicle at my destination with the engine running...

People think my car is about to explode.

I assure you, without doubt it very much just steam from the rain.

For reasons I do not understand, this tends to not happen while I'm out driving or while it's warming up before I leave... My theory is that the temp conditions are JUST right, that the radiator is not getting / staying hot enough to turn that water that gets on it from the rain into steam... Than, once stopped and things warm up from idling without the air movement, the steam starts and people are concerned for my safety. ;)

I'm just curious, anyone else have experiences like this?

Final question about my vehicles eccentricities... A slight exhaust smell when REALLY putting the accelerator down for whatever reason. Anyone else??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have you opened your hood? are you missing your engine cover or hood cover ?

Evaporation type steam, or steam engine type steam?

More like water vapor, "steam" is not visible.

Same here.. there is a thread on it. Hapoens every time I go to the carwash.. pull put and steam.. looks like you are overheating. I have popped the hood when doing it and it comes from the front of the radiator between that and the bumper.

....................................Final question about my vehicles eccentricities... A slight exhaust smell when REALLY putting the accelerator down for whatever reason. Anyone else??
There is a 101 page thread on that; Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. See also; Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust
The Forum has a 'Search' feature (upper right) that can be used to find existing threads on various topics. There isn't much that hasn't already been discussed.
BTW, I've never noticed any signs of steam from the Explorer under any condition.

Peter

Back