Horn Beeps On Exit | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Horn Beeps On Exit

2013 Limited AWD... no chirps. Remote start set to silent. That's the only setting I know of that controls horn chirps. Just tested it... start, open door, walked away. Also started, opened door, closed the door and locked it with the button on the door handle... walked away... no chirp.
What happens if you change the silent setting of the remore start. Do you then get the hord chirp?
I have a 2011 and the remore start is not set to Silent and I don't get the chirps either. This may be just a change for the 2013 model year since no one has posted anything about it before that I can recall.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've tried to reproduce the chirp that everyone is talking about, and I can't make it happen. Under what circumstances are others hearing the horn chirp?
Under your Remote Start settings, is Quiet Start set to ON or OFF? If OFF, try setting it to ON and then try to see if that will activate the horn when you walk away from Ex with the fob while it is running.

Peter

I just tried testing this out again. For me, the 'Quiet Start' option under 'Remote Start' being ON/OFF didn't matter.

Steps to reproduce:

1. With the key in pocket at all times, get into the vehicle and start it up.

2. Exit the vehicle and shut the driver door. You do not need to walk away from it. It is triggered by the closing of ANY door in the vehicle, whether it be the tail gate, driver or passenger side doors, rear doors, etc.

3. You will hear 2 beeps after about 2-3 seconds of each door close.

Notes: I tried locking it immediately after leaving the vehicle and it honked as I was in the process of locking. Tried it with the quiet start mode on/off, but I'm not sure why that setting would matter since I am not using the remote start option in this case.

I have the 2013 Explorer Limited 4WD version and it was built October of this year. I have about 2,500 miles or so.

I just tried testing this out again. For me, the 'Quiet Start' option under 'Remote Start' being ON/OFF didn't matter.

Steps to reproduce:

2. Exit the vehicle and shut the driver door. You do not need to walk away from it. It is triggered by the closing of ANY door in the vehicle, whether it be the tail gate, driver or passenger side doors, rear doors, etc.

Notes: I tried locking it immediately after leaving the vehicle and it honked as I was in the process of locking. Tried it with the quiet start mode on/off, but I'm not sure why that setting would matter since I am not using the remote start option in this case.I have the 2013 Explorer Limited 4WD version and it was built October of this year. I have about 2,500 miles or so.
It was just because Helicopter had posted that he doesn't get horn chirp and his Remote Start silent setting was ON. We were just wondering if that may control the horn sounding whether or not you use the remore start. I wonder why some with the 2013 have this issue and others don't? :dunno:

Peter

It was just because Helicopter had posted that he doesn't get horn chirp and his Remote Start silent setting was ON. We were just wondering if that may control the horn sounding whether or not you use the remore start. I wonder why some with the 2013 have this issue and others don't? :dunno:

Peter
Oh, I missed that from his post; I see that now. Well, hopefully someone on this forum or at Ford is able to shed some light on the subject. Overall, it's a minor nuisance, but would be nice to resolve!

Steps to reproduce:

Notes: I tried locking it immediately after leaving the vehicle and it honked as I was in the process of locking. Tried it with the quiet start mode on/off, but I'm not sure why that setting would matter since I am not using the remote start option in this case.

I have the 2013 Explorer Limited 4WD version and it was built October of this year. I have about 2,500 miles or so.

Just tried as you asked... no chirps. BTW, I have the same model as you with an earlier build date... July of this year. All options except tow and DVD head rests.

Peter

Correct. Only setting that mentions "silent"... is the remote start settings... of which I have them all enabled.

Also... all the "lock" features are turned on / enabled

Oh, I missed that from his post; I see that now. Well, hopefully someone on this forum or at Ford is able to shed some light on the subject. Overall, it's a minor nuisance, but would be nice to resolve!

I don't know what else there is... other than I don't have the latest version of MFT installed yet. Perhaps this is part of it?

else there is... other than I don't have the latest version of MFT installed yet. Perhaps this is part of it?
Hmm, I don't either unless it came pre-installed in October. If I remember correctly, the update came out in November, so that would rule that out.

For options, I have everything except rear DVD in headrests. The build date is interesting. I wonder if others affected have build dates around the time of mine, which would mean this setting was changed (perhaps safety reasons?).

A call to my local dealership didn't result in an answer, either. Sometimes, I wish I had a direct line to Ford engineers and programmers. :)

I had a 2012 explorer limited and it did not do this. Now I just got a 2013 explorer sport and it honks at me when I get out with key fob in pocket. Very annoying when I go to work at 4:30am and forget something in house. wakes neighbors, my kids sleeping.....would love to turn this off!

Could it be some kind of warning that the fob is leaving the proximity zone for the car? Has anyone stayed away for a few minutes to see if the car shut off?

Could it be some kind of warning that the fob is leaving the proximity zone for the car? Has anyone stayed away for a few minutes to see if the car shut off?
That is exactly what it is. It seems to be new for the 2013 models only. My previous Highlander would sound a couple of electronic beeps in the same senario. Not as annoying as having the horn chirp.

Peter

I don't care what the purpose of this warning is! It's f'n annoying and we should at least be provided with the option to disable it. I wonder if other Ford models do this and we can get copies of the owner's manual and find the disable procedure. Even more so annoying for those of us that have small children that we aren't trying to wake late at night or when trying to quietly get them out of the car if they have fallend asleep. I'm to the point of considering disconnecting the horn! Maybe Crystal can help?

I don't care what the purpose of this warning is! It's f'n annoying and we should at least be provided with the option to disable it. I wonder if other Ford models do this and we can get copies of the owner's manual and find the disable procedure. Even more so annoying for those of us that have small children that we aren't trying to wake late at night or when trying to quietly get them out of the car if they have fallend asleep. I'm to the point of considering disconnecting the horn! Maybe Crystal can help?

Sorry, I wasn't trying to make light of your annoyance. That was just how I was working it out in my head, hope someone figures it out soon!

This happens on my 13 Fusioin Titanium. Not sure how to disable it. It isn't on all 13 builds. That's why it happens on some and not on other 13's. Can't remember the cut off date. Earlier 13's don't have the chirp chirp.

Hi gang,

I read through the 2013 Owner's Manual and couldn't find any reference to this particular horn chirping scenario, so I'm going to do some additional research and see what I can find out. I'll report back when I get some information.

I'm on the case! :thumbsup:

Crystal

Sorry, I wasn't trying to make light of your annoyance. That was just how I was working it out in my head, hope someone figures it out soon!

Oh my, I apoolgize. My post at all wasn't directed towards you at all making light of the annoyance! Going back and reading I can see how it came across as such. One downside about the internet! ;)

Hi gang,

I read through the 2013 Owner's Manual and couldn't find any reference to this particular horn chirping scenario, so I'm going to do some additional research and see what I can find out. I'll report back when I get some information.

I'm on the case! :thumbsup:

Crystal

Thank you so much. You will seriously save my sanity if you would be able to find a way to disable this.:D

Thank you so much. You will seriously save my sanity if you would be able to find a way to disable this.:D

You're welcome, QwikEVO! Hopefully we won't have to break out the straitjackets. ;)

I'll post again when I have news. If anyone has any questions in the interim, you know how to find me.

Crystal

Same issue with my 2013 Sport. Build date was November. Super annoying! Anytime I get out of the car while its running, people think I'm trying to get their attention with the horn. I understand the purpose of letting you know the key is no longer in the car, so therefore it's not driveable at that point. But there should be an option to disable. I have started taking the key out of my pocket and leaving it in the car, but I don't always remember. I guess the other (poor) solution would be to leave your spare key in the glove box, but then you probably can't use the black button to lock it? Not sure, haven't tried that. Seems ridiculous we can't simply disable.

I don't get it. What's wrong with just turning the car off?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same issue with my 2013 Sport. Build date was November. Super annoying! Anytime I get out of the car while its running, people think I'm trying to get their attention with the horn. I understand the purpose of letting you know the key is no longer in the car, so therefore it's not driveable at that point. But there should be an option to disable. I have started taking the key out of my pocket and leaving it in the car, but I don't always remember. I guess the other (poor) solution would be to leave your spare key in the glove box, but then you probably can't use the black button to lock it? Not sure, haven't tried that. Seems ridiculous we can't simply disable.
Correct in that you can't lock it with the black button. You can lock your fob inside using the keypad on the driver's door. I believe you have to press the 7/8 and 9/0 buttons simultaneously. You will also need to use your code to unlock the door.
Your are incorrect in assuming that the Ex is not driveable without the fob inside. If it is running, anyone can jump in and drive away with it. They just won't be able to restart it if it was turned off for more than 20 seconds (fast restart).

Peter

Back