Hot floor advice?

Craigerz

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 4x4
Got back from a recent trip. Long story short I took out all the carpet and “rhino lined” the floors. It gets hot AF now. Any advice or suck it up?

A887AAD7-6A93-4A06-8185-FCFF23935551.jpeg

08C9CF80-3801-4BD4-BD13-F45975928293.jpeg

164C608E-72D9-4802-9A6C-711206AB21C6.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bigger trans cooler maybe?

I’ll try that. Been wanting to add a bigger one anyways. I think it might be justified now

It might help a little, but I still think you will get plenty of heat conducted through the floor it will still be just as hot. AC not work, or just doesn’t keep up?

Keeps up but just barely. My gf phone was on the hump and shut off because it got too hot.

I did the same thing few years back in my Expo. I just dealt with it but you can buy a form of aerogel and place it between transmission and body, will do the trick.
(Done this in a XJ and worked perfectly)

Optimal exhaust temp is just over 1000 degrees right at the exhaust port.

However, the cats will be considered "operating normally" up to 1600 degrees depending on how much combustible material is in the exhaust.

The rear cats are right under GF's feet.

A favorite quote is " do it but don't tell others to do it, or about it, because it may be illegal"
Another is "learn to read between the lines"

And now back to the normal schedule.

I played with the idea of bed lining my floor as well but settled on getting vinyl floor from a sport trac. Almost as easy to clean but I don't have the heat problem you describe.

Yeah I wanted something like the weather tech floor liners. Couldn’t find what I was looking for. Lucky for me the carpets were so nasty that it wasn’t a hard choice to cut them out.

I was expecting it to be noisy but never thought about the heat. I didn’t even pull up the rubber stuff that was glued to the floor.

I have about 100 feet of exhaust wrap left over from my bike I am going to use up under the floor where the rear cats that are still and always will be in place

I looked at the tunnel insulators from Jegs and I don’t think I’m paying that for one. I found something similar for like 30 buck online.

When I get home I am going to see how much room I have to work with under there, and if it’s too dirty for the adhesive stuff to stick.

For the weekend she might be getting a cheap carpet floor mat to protect her baby feets.

And I say Rhino Liner it’s the cheap knock off crap so maybe the thicker stuff would have been better for this.

A thin piece is sheet metal screwed to the tunnel with something to stand it off might make a huge difference. It’s the same principle as the heatvshields on the pipes and cats.

Well I got some of the pipe wrapped. Those are high flow low profile 2.25 cats they just came out with.

The heat shields from the exhaust are still in place. Not really sure how much room I’ll have for any insulation between the transmission.

7E5D44D1-0502-41BD-B9D0-35E0DD1573D8.jpeg

Ditto, it just needs a heat barrier between the heat and the floor surface material. The reflective sheet material might be best for the trans tunnel area, but how about at least a vinyl rug from a rare Explorer that had them. The jute material below the rugs helped a lot.

We’ll I’m trying this. I rolled it on and didn’t spray it because I wasn’t buying the gun for a one time job.

1EFD1311-B742-4143-95B1-9A9195713D51.jpeg

It went a lot further than the instructions said so it was an impromptu rip the rest of the interior out before it set. Going to be painted over anyways.

152D2445-3047-4721-8DF7-B02A035AB284.jpeg

Not hard at all. Pulling the interior took the longest. It went on a lot thicker with the roller than being sprayed on so it will take a while longer to dry. But it’s going to be 106 here today so I bet it hardens quick lol

Not hard at all. Pulling the interior took the longest. It went on a lot thicker with the roller than being sprayed on so it will take a while longer to dry. But it’s going to be 106 here today so I bet it hardens quick lol

Yeah with it being 106 it will be done in like 2 hours right LOL!! :) I do not miss Texas at all. I was in Fort Hood Area for 4 years.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well they lied and it was only 102 and a cold front of 97 tomorrow has moved in :) Everywhere I was stationed I always thought TX was better lol but it hot AF here and the older I get the more I like my AC

Back