• Register Today It's free!

Hot Wheels (literally!!!)

Triton46

Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer Sport
I commute 40 miles round trip in my Explorer. Friday when I got home I decided to wash the car. After about 30 min, I went outside and sprayed it down. The front driver wheel was hot. I couldn't hold my hand there for long. The passenger wheel was hot, but not nearly as bad as the driver side. When I shot the wheel with water, steam came off of it.

After another trip to the salt mines, I checked both wheels. They were equally hot, but the driver side stayed hot longer. What could be causing my wheels to heat up so much? I was thinking maybe a stuck brake, but the MPG is normal and it is not pulling to one side or the other. Anyone?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One word.

Bearings.

check the wheel bearings. I bet they are either dry, or shot. Both are bad news.

Bearings and the brakes. I know that from time to time they do not release quite right and will cause that.

A rim that is hot is the first sign of a bad caliper.

Good Luck

you might have a caliper sticking. check to see if your lines are all straight. Also see if hte pads are wearing abnormaly or not. Then check the wheel bearing or hubs. I work in a Truck stop and this happens to a lot of the big work trucks. Bearing or hubs go dry.

I'm backing the bad caliper theory....I've had this exact same problem on my explorer awhile back
Pete

me too.......maybe not the caliper but the stupid slide pins.....they stick on explorers

I got home yesterday and both wheels were just warm, not burning hot like before.

I beleive the brakes may be the culprit, one of them locked when I first brought it up to NC and the car pulled almost violently to the left. I'll get it checked out when I have my wheels rotated. I also have a service date coming up so for good measure I'll get the front wheels repacked.

Back