How can I stop the annoying key in ignition noise? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How can I stop the annoying key in ignition noise?

raptor125

Reaction score
City, State
Yakima, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Expedition 4x4 Sport
Does anyone know where the stupid little speaker or thing that lets out that annoying noise to tell you when your key is in the ignition. God I hate that thing and I really need to shut it up so I can work on my drivers side window. It stopped working and I want to listen for things related to it to see what is not working, but I can't because of this annoying noise. I took the fuse out that was related to it, but lord behold, the windows stop working too. So that don't help me. Please anyone know?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...i am not sure on your exact model but, it is usaully a little plug in electric box located just behind the ashtray on the driverside...i hope this helps at least as a bump till someone else chimes in...;)

Easiest way to eliminate the dinging is to trip the latch in the door. Push the bottom latch up two clicks and the upper latch down two clicks. You have to do the bottom latch first or you can't move the upper latch. You can do this with your fingers. Turns off the dinging and interior lights irregardless of key position. Lift the exterior door handle to open the latch again -BE SURE TO DO THIS BEFORE YOU TRY TO CLOSE THE DOOR.

There's a switch in the latch that signals "Door Open" and turns on the warning chime. Closing the door latch makes it think the door is closed.

I do this all the time when cleaning my vehicle so I can listen to radio and not hear that obnoxious dinging.

hmm how do you fix it because one day it went away, and for this reason i always leave my headlights on.. then my battery dies!

Back