How common are leaky radiators? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How common are leaky radiators?

bstjnky

Reaction score
I have a slow, mysterious antifreeze leak and I cant find where its coming from. I have come to the conclusion that it is NOT a valve cover leak, head gasket leak, water pump leak, or any coolant lines. The overfill bottle is always empty, and I am putting antifreeze directly into the radiator once a week. My temp gauge fluctuates from the N in normal to in between the R and M. Are plastic radiators known for leaking over time? How much does a new one cost? Any help would appreciated.
Thanks, Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine was leaking along the seam between the tank and the rows of fins. It was a very slow leak that wasn't even putting fluid on the ground. It was all being absorbed by a bunch of crap that had built up under the radiator. Leaves, feathers, etc... I couldn't see the leak until I pulled the radiator. Then it was very apparant as there was a stain along the seam.

My gauge was fluctuating as well.

Jason-I replaced the one in my '91XLT nearly three years ago. I also had the same problem as Rick. My guess is that aluminum and plastics expand and contract at different rates, so eventually the bond between the plastic tanks and the aluminum fail causing a leak. I had a custom all aluminum one with three rows built and installed for $220. This was nearly the same price for a single row OEM replacement. I would call around local radiator shops and find out who can build you one or if anyone has a larger capacity aluminum replacement. Thats what I did. Hope this helps.

Mine leaks as well. I have a 1991 with 149,000 miles and every once in while there will be a quarter size puddle on the carport. I tried stop leak, but it still leaks. I have never had to add antifreeze though.

------------------

shawna l.

1991 EB 4-door Xplorer
30x9.50 Pathmakers
15x7 Eagle Alloy wheels
K&N Filter
Drilled airbox
Bosch 4+ Plats
Splitfire Wires
Steering Stabilizer
Monroe Sensa-tracs
Sony 10 Disc CD player
Reece Receiver Hitch
AND a few other goodies!

I had the same type of strange leak I couldn't see - even when leaking - from the radiator area. Dealer knew exactly what it was. There are two large "O" rings, one on either end of the radiator, between the end cap and the oore. These can and do leak. I had them replaced for a turn key price of about $100, although the dealer had to send them out because he didn't do the repair himself. I suspect most dealers will want to just replace the radiator since it's not cost effective for them to replace the "O" rings. I was lucky, I'd go to a radiator shop first next time. Jim

Jason
My plastic radiator leaked excessively and finally I had to replace it in about 1995. Also, my heater core leaked and I had to replace it. Presently, I have a small leak somewhere in the heater and I can smell antifreeze when the warm or hot air flows into vehicle. In my opinion those plastic radiators are no good - and I should have replaced it with a metal radiator!! I too have too periodically add antifreeze to the overfill container (which one should not allow to go empty).
MikeP, 1991 XLT 4x4

The ford radiators are junk. I have change them all the ford we own. 1 in my explorer,
3 in the other tauras we own. The radiator shop I deal with says every time we get a real cold week in NJ he sell more ford radiators then any other brand. The problem is that the radiator are plastic and lead where the plastic tank and o ring meets the aluminum. The new radiator cost $135 and is warranty for ever.

Bob s
1994 xlt 4x4 4dr
front and rear class 3 trailer hitches

Back