How do I replace the front brakes on a 1990 Ford Aerostar? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I replace the front brakes on a 1990 Ford Aerostar?

nopeda

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1990 Aerostar
Hi,

Can anyone suggest a step by step page how to change the front brakes on a 1990 Ford Aerostar? It doesn't look like they bolt on at all, but there are some pin looking things. Do they have to be replaced each time? I hate to think some lame looking things like that are all that's holding the brakes on. Do they require a special tool? They look like they could give a hard time trying to get them back in. I'm no mechanic, so something weird looking like that makes me nervous...afraid I can get them off but won't be able to get them back on if they bur up or bend or something. Other than the shoes themselves, does anything else need to be replaced?

Thanks for any help!
David

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If your rotors are not scored, just knock the roll pins out with a punch or screwdriver, replace the pads, then pound the pins back in with a hammer. If perchance they come out too easy, just widen the gap in the pins SLIGHTLY and pound them back in. Pad kits MAY have new roll pins, but I don't remember seeing any when I have changed my pads (which I need to do again soon).

If your rotor is scored, you will need to turn or replace it. If your cylinders are leaking, you need to replace them.

I am not a mechanic and I can change pads on my 93 in less than 30 minutes, including R&R of tires.

I just did this job a day or two ago so it's still fresh in my mind. Sorry, I didn't take any pictures.

There are two "pins" that hold the caliper in place. The pins are made of two pieces of metal separated by a rubber center. There are dimples at each end of the metal pieces that keep the pins from going anywhere. I use a blunt drive punch and hammer to gently tap the metal pieces first till the dimples touch the caliper and then I tap them at a 45 degree angle to get the dimple in just past the lip of the caliper and then make sure the other metal piece follows it. Once the pin has been compressed enough to start through the slot it's in, use the punch on the metal pieces to tap it all the way through. Then repeat with the other pin. Make sure to compress the caliper - this forces brake fluid back into the master cylinder and it may overflow. Then you can lift the caliper out. The rear brake pad is just sitting in place and can be taken out now. The pad attached to the caliper needs a little encouragement to snap off.

Make sure no one steps on the brake pedal while the caliper is out.

Make sure while you're doing this that you don't harm the flexible brake hose or you'll have problems later. Don't let the caliper hang by the hose.

I make sure the slot for the pins is clean before reassembly. I put a little "Door Ease" in the slot where the pin goes and some on the pin also so it won't seize up.

Put the new pads in place and drop the caliper back in place. Tap the pins back into place but don't bottom them out. If you do bottom them out, tap the back side of them to move them out about 1/8 inch.

That should do it. I hope you know to make sure you don't get any grease on the rotors while you're doing this job. Sanding the rotors helps to "seat" the new pads faster. If you've experienced any pulsating when stopping, it's best to change the rotors while you're doing this job which means you'll have to clean and repack the wheel bearings and replace the grease seals. I got prices of around $20 to "turn" the rotors and about $28 for new rotors so I didn't mess with the old ones. Buy the best brakes you can - I used "Wagner Thermo Quiet" pads from Advance Auto Parts.

I order my parts and then pick them up at the store. When ordering online, I use the coupons listed here: http://dealnews.com/Advance-Auto-Parts-coupons-40-off-100-30-off-75-more/861291.html

Great Job! As always Brooklyn! You-da-Man! A picture is worth a 1000 words. The links you provided take us to some other great posts on this subject.

Sure glad I don't have the 4WD model shown in "Glacier991" post - great pictures and detail for those that have it though.

I'm not sure we emphasized enough about checking the brake hoses.

If there's any sign of deterioration on the hoses, replace them. I've had brake hoses act like check valves and prevent the calipers from releasing without showing a sign of any issue by looking at it. Can't stress this enough!

Don't take any chances with the brakes - you bet your life!

As for the anti-rattle clips - The previous replacements must have tossed all the clips on my Aerostars. I'll have to buy new ones and do part of the job over.

Back