How long did your Servo Bore "O-Ring Fix" last | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How long did your Servo Bore "O-Ring Fix" last

These are a couple of tools I used to pull the servos out. Slightly bent Allen wrench with the short end going into the center hole of the servo, and the threaded end of the hook into the servo hole worked well also as it provides some grip on the inside bore.
Backing up takes a few seconds to engage. Then can go into 1st, but revs very high before eventually slamming into higher gear. Then after going into I believe 3rd will get OD light. Wont ever hit OD and revs just over 3000 at 70.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The servos with this issue only deal with shifting from 1st to 2nd, 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, 3rd, 4th to 5th and 5th. The reverse shift may be just normal delay as long as it’s going in to reverse okay. The fluid change may help that.
i would do the servo replacement and see as it sounds like the classic shift problems, codes, and warning lights. If not then you may have internal gear or other problems.

While reving, if you let off the accelerator does it eventually shift into the next gear? That is also a classic symptom of worn servos.

These are a couple of tools I used to pull the servos out. Slightly bent Allen wrench with the short end going into the center hole of the servo, and the threaded end of the hook into the servo hole worked well also as it provides some grip on the inside bore.
While reving, if you let off the accelerator does it eventually shift into the next gear? That is also a classic symptom of worn servos.
Yes, and I always did let off trying to get it to shift awaiting the slam. Doesnt always do the shift though until it gets moving fast enough. I just got 2 sets of harbor freight long reach needle nose pliers. Headed back home to tear into it again. Quick stop to Sam's as they finally have ribs to smoke!!
Again, I do appreciate communication

Good luck 👍
Cant get snap rings off. Dropped exhaust tll it rests on trans support. Pliers flex a lot. Ground tips to fit snap ring

That’s the hardest part, you just need to keep playing with it. It helps greatly if you have a second set of hands. one person to compress the snap ring and another to get a long slim flat heat screwdriver behind it to pry and pop it out. I have done it by my self but just needs patience and dexterity with two hands, keep trying. Once you get the old snap rings out I hope you also bought the new modified snap rings to replace them as they are easier to deal with.

Got one out. The bigger
That’s the hardest part, you just need to keep playing with it. It helps greatly if you have a second set of hands. one person to compress the snap ring and another to get a long slim flat heat screwdriver behind it to pry and pop it out. I have done it by my self but just needs patience and dexterity with two hands, keep trying. Once you get the old snap rings out I hope you also bought the new modified snap rings to replace them as they are easier to deal with.
[/QUOT
Got one out. The bigger ring, but not the cap yet. Got smaller one to move. I live in upstate NY. lots of rust and rockers left the car years ago.

Got one out. The bigger
Got it apart. Need to order parts. Smaller one does seem a little sloppy and was hard to pull out after snap ring out compared to larger servo

Glad to hear you got them out. Yes they can be quite the challenge especially if old and rusty. Best to order the complete servo kit which has new servos with the orings and sleeves installed along with extra orings. Also get the new snap rings and a tube of Sil-Glyde lube for the installation (or you can buy that lube locally).
When installing the new servos pay close attention to the instruction. Remember to install the cap onto the servo before installing the servo into the tranny. When installing it in the tranny (I used the wood block and breaker bar) you need to apply force with one continuous thrust-in motion. Position the snap ring over the wood block so it’s ready to install. You may reach a point where the servo feels stuck and not going in all the way but you just need to apply a little more force until it’s all the way in and you can fit the snap ring back in the grove. Hold it in and don’t let the servo come out at all during this procedure or you may damage the oring. Good luck!

Got it apart. Need to order parts. Smaller one does seem a little sloppy and was hard to pull out after snap ring out compared to larger servo
Glad to hear you got them out. Yes they can be quite the challenge especially if old and rusty. Best to order the complete servo kit which has new servos with the orings and sleeves installed along with extra orings. Also get the new snap rings and a tube of Sil-Glyde lube for the installation (or you can buy that lube locally).
When installing the new servos pay close attention to the instruction. Remember to install the cap onto the servo before installing the servo into the tranny. When installing it in the tranny (I used the wood block and breaker bar) you need to apply force with one continuous thrust-in motion. Position the snap ring over the wood block so it’s ready to install. You may reach a point where the servo feels stuck and not going in all the way but you just need to apply a little more force until it’s all the way in and you can fit the snap ring back in the grove. Hold it in and don’t let the servo come out at all during this procedure or you may damage the oring. Good luck!
It's all on order and should be here tomorrow. I spoke to the guy who owns the company.had trouble ordering as it wouldn't go through when I added instruction download. His advice was to push it in relatively fast. Something about o rings swelling. Anyway, I'll wait for parts and keep you posted.

Ordered kit for last Saturday priority express but servos didnt arrive till Monday. Installed using Boelube. Put it all back together but no change in shifting. No longer have P1780 or P1703, but still have P0741, P0732, P0733, and now have P0735. Not sure where to go from here. Valve body gasket? TCC Solenoid?

Ordered kit for last Saturday priority express but servos didnt arrive till Monday. Installed using Boelube. Put it all back together but no change in shifting. No longer have P1780 or P1703, but still have P0741, P0732, P0733, and now have P0735. Not sure where to go from here. Valve body gasket? TCC Solenoid?

Did you readjust the bands? Also did you clear the memory? The servo fix does not work right away, you need to drive 50 to 100 miles... I bought the kit but unfortunately it did not solve my problem...

Did you readjust the bands? Also did you clear the memory? The servo fix does not work right away, you need to drive 50 to 100 miles... I bought the kit but unfortunately it did not solve my problem...
Yep, adjusted bands and cleared memory. Only went maybe 40 mi so far. What codes did you have and is it fixed?

Yep, adjusted bands and cleared memory. Only went maybe 40 mi so far. What codes did you have and is it fixed?

No codes but I had the 2 - 3 problem... drove over 100 miles and did not improve so I am just doing a full rebuild and good thing I did because my band was junk...
20200613_142450.jpg
20200613_142526.jpg

Also if you dont catch the problem very early then no quick fix will help you... if your conditions dont improve then I would do a rebuild with the new brass sleeves and yes you can still use your servo kit..

Also if you dont catch the problem very early then no quick fix will help you... if your conditions dont improve then I would do a rebuild with the new brass sleeves and yes you can still use your servo kit..

When I left a restaurant yesterday after more than 200 miles driven since servo replacement it now shifts into all gears including overdrive. Cleared codes when I left for work and monitored live data. Verified it definitely is going into OD. Only code when I arrived at work is a P1000 incomplete. I think its finally fixed!!! All the help with this is very much appreciated.

Back